Your Ad Could Be Here

Who's your most favourite 'singer-songwriter'?

• Editors

file0001682644.jpg

'Singer-songwriter' is a tricky word. These days, it is not necessarily true that a singer-songwriter would have to be a solo artist and not in a band. Having said that, who's your most favorite singer-songwriter(s)?

Mine starts with John Mayer as his music really started my journey as a musician.

And then Damien Rice, what an honest and intense songwriter and musician. 

What about yours?

Okay, loads to pick from. I love both John Mayer and Damien Rice.

How about the magician, John Gomm

Ray LaMontagne

James Taylor

Sandy Denny

Crosby, Stills and Nash is a group comprised of 3 singer songwriters. I’ll post Guinevere by David Crosby as a fine example:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Johnson - his story is just so cool, former professional surfer has a nasty wipeout, has to get 150 stitches in his forehead, teaches himself guitar and writes what would become Brushfire Fairytales, one of my all-time favorites of his, 'Flake':

Neil Young - Classic:

James Taylor - Who doesn't love 'Fire and Rain'?

Jeff Buckley - 'Hallelujah':

Parents loved Gordon Lightfoot, one of their first dates was at one of his concerts and they've been together over 40 years so he musta done something right (or is it write? lol). I still remember vividly singing the song Edmund Fitzgerald in music class while in 3rd or 4th grade and couldn't wait to do so..

• Like 1

Also a big fan of Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age fame.. such a badass!

• Like 1

Nick Drake.  I was blown away the first time I heard him. An absolute talent. Raw and melancholic. It's sad there's not a single video of him playing live. apparently, he was too shy and stuff. and typically, he died young(over dozed on anti-depressants). But his work lives on.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I will offer up a couple of Canadians....

First up is Stephen Fearing, a very good guitar player, singer and an interesting songwriter.. quite the talent 

Next up is an excellent guitar player who manages in this video to present a very depressing topic in a very cool song

Hope you like them

• 2 years later...
  • Editors
5 hours ago, Stewart Schmidt said:

Mine is rather cliché, but does happen to be Bob Dylan. 

Oh not at all! Bob is the OG "singer-songwriter". Haha

• 2 weeks later...

Streets ahead of all others ... Joni Mitchell

50 years of whip-smart and finely-sculpted lyrics embedded in inventive music like no other, she rips my soul apart again and again. Her songs are delivered by one of the purest and most emotional of voices that seems to represent all humanity and are underscored by her unique playing style both on guitar (with 40+ tunings) and piano.

This solo performance is prefaced with the songwriting story ... 

• Like 2