Your Ad Could Be Here

If you could go to one gig from the past....

john

Hi gang

If you could pick one gig from history, that you could time travel and go to today / tonight... what would it be?

It could be a gig you actually were at, or not... as long as it was an actual gig.

I would love to have been going to see Pink Floyd playing  “Dark Side of the Moon: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics” (as it was provisionally known at the time) at the Rainbow Theatre February, 1972. It was played as an incomplete sequence, due to a technical error at the Dome a month before. This was a full 14 months before the album release.

572892CF-B8A5-4B91-A93C-E6970E1AC41B.jpeg

There are sooooo many other gigs I would like to have been at or revisited... but this album has been a long time favourite and influence, so I had to choose this.

If I could I would love to have experienced it fresh, like any other audience member, to have my mind blown all over again. Still, just to be there would have been enough. :)

2 minutes ago, john said:

First time Rudi. That said, often when you see a band playing unknown material it just leaves you impatient to hear the stuff you know. I guess each way has it’s pros and cons

It's nice to hear that. You may recall that is a bugbear of mine; all those people who just want to hear the tune replicated exactly as it appeared on the original recording. Its also why I asked the question.

AFAIAC a big part of enjoying any music is the element of surprise.

• Like 1

Queen. 15th December 1973 at a University hall of residence in Leicester. (http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/live-1.htm)

Just to see if they were really that good because I can't remember if they were. Strangely a couple of years later (1976/1977ish) I lived in a shared house and the girl upstairs who I used to share an occasional smoke with had a boyfriend who was a sound engineer on one of their albums and loved them to bits 

I remember a lot of people and bands I saw at that time but don't particularly remember Queen. 

I remember Cockney Rebel at the same place and also seeing Sweet and being surprised how good they were. And how disappointed when I saw Caravan who I loved to bits in those days as they were the back drop to my A levels

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

1982 Van Halen. I was in 6th grade and was just starting to like Van Halen and really get into playing the guitar. I didn't even know they were on tour but I got to school one day and there were roughly 50 or so Van Halen shirts all around and in each class that is all they could talk about. 

shirt-1982-front.jpg?w=89&h=86

• Like 1

I saw a bunch of greats in the 70s at the Glasgow Apollo, including the classic ACDC and Thin Lizzy lineups.

But I think the one I'd see again would be Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul's first tour at the Nite Club in Edinburgh. He wrote all my fave Southside Johnny songs and he did them that night, with the Asbury Jukes horn section. I've seen Southside three times since but that night was special. 

Fantasy gig would be Springsteen in Passaic, NJ in 1978. I had the vinyl bootleg at the time and the whole video is on Youtube. Like Al Pacino playing Elvis.

He wasn't allowed to record for three years due to his legal hassles, so he kept the E St Band on the road, which is where they forged their live reputation and this was them at their hottest.

Edited by Glammerocity
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Rob Ash said:

Okay, first, I had to stop and think about this one. I initially posted incorrect info. The actual facts are these:

1980. Led Zeppelin's "The 1980's, Part One" Tour, North American portion of the tour, sometime in November, I am pretty sure. I was 18. The show was the one at The Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. The show had originally been scheduled for about two months or so earlier, but the band agreed to extend the European leg of the tour by 16 dates, so I, and everyone else who bought tickets early got rain checks. They actually mailed me new tickets for the amended show date.

The show never took place. Bonham died following the Berlin show in September. I held the tickets in my wallet for about a year, then burned them one night while listening to "In Through The Out Door". A prodigious amount of, ah... herbal supplements were, ah... consumed that night.

That's the one I'd attend, if I could.

I dont believe you want to attend a gig that never occurred. Standing outside the venue in the rain.

I believe you want more than John outlined. You want the gig to have occurred, which would mean that John Bonham would have had to live a little longer.

I didnt get why you burned the ticket at first. But I suppose it was always going to be a reminder that the show never happened and more importantly, that John B perished.

I dont do that herbal thing anymore. Not for many years, but I would have joined you I think,  if I was able on that occasion. Good choice.