Your Ad Could Be Here

Looking for some new music and different genres

gracegraham

• Noob

Hi guys!

I'm Grace, 24 from the UK and studying Music and Psychology at university.

Although I'm only in my first year, we have a task that is ongoing and counts towards the final grade. Basically I have to produce a listening diary of multiple different genres, and present it to my class and lecturers before I finish. There is a chance a good grade could get me nearer to a Masters as well!

So what I wanted to ask: Does anyone have any music they think I need to include for certain genres? We have to focus on new artists and up and coming acts, but can include established artists. I am predominantly a classical and jazz singer so I don't have much knowledge of other genres, such as, grime, urban, hip hop, rap, indie, electronica, world etc. 

I wondered if anyone could suggest any bands they know (even yourselves!) or anywhere I could find people?

Thanks so much! 

Kisses! ❤️

Grace

xoxo

Hi Grace!

I saw this so I will shamelessly plug my favorites!  For folk Joni Mitchell (try "Case of You") and alternative folk Ani Difranco (try "Going Once Going Twice").  For progressive rock Rush (try "The Analogue Kid"), Yes (try "Long Distance Runaround"), Emerson Lake and Palmer (try "C'est la vie").  For barbershop I-have-no-idea-how-to-categorize, Moxy Fruvous (My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors, try THAT one! 😂).  If you love lyrics, I HIGHLY recommend reading Going Once Going Twice, The Analogue Kid, and My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors while listening, if you decide to give any of these a go.

Oh! and if you want to try something really far out, check out this prime example of overtone singing "David Hykes, Rainbow Voice".

Good luck with your studies!  Hope this turns out to be helpful 😋