Your Ad Could Be Here

Not so proud anymore...

1. After all that this country.           has done to survive.                          The hardships..      the struggles..     the countless of lives.                         When it's strength                              was it's honor.                                      Truth was it's core.                               But with sadness and sorrow                  I'm not so proud anymore.             The torch was held high                          in Lady Liberty's hand.                         It would shine         like a beacon of hope                 across the land.        Give us your tired..your hungry ..your poor.                                                 Now I just don't seem                   to be so so proud anymore.                     The land of the free                             and the home of the brave.                              The unknown soldier                                             the Arlington graves.                                      That magnificent light                                 Revere saw in that steeple.                       That great proposition                 that ALL men are equal.                       These are some           of the things               that when I was a child.                       Made me stand tall                                     and it made me so proud.                         But where are the values                    that we once held before.                          I just don't seem                                   to be proud anymore.                              But I WANT to see pride                                once more               fill this nation.             The American dreams                        and the great expectations.                        For ALL races and religions                           for ALL women and men.                                   I just want to feel proud                         of my country again.                               For all races and religions                       for all women and men.                               I just want to feel proud                              of my country again.........
    I just want to feel proud                  of my country again.

Patrick Metheny

Not(!) to divert this thread or this site into any of the "political rants" that seem to have become so fashionable today, "this American remains quite hopeful."

"The Rumors of my Death have been Greatly Exaggerated."

– Mark Twain

In fact, I would dare to say that "the American People did 'a very American thing' in the last election," and that "they knew what they were doing and they fully intended(!) to do it."  The prevailing political order had become thoroughly self-serving, self-absorbed and fossilized – "The Swamp™" – and the American people decided to pour a barrel of gasoline upon it and light a match.  

The President that they picked – who, indeed, volunteered to do the task – was, without a doubt, the first of his kind, but I submit that he will not be the last of his kind.  (Both in the USA, and elsewhere.)

Is he making mistakes?  Of course!  "If you find yourself to be a harbinger, that's what you're doomed to do."  But I believe that he is setting a course that his successors will follow, both in the USA and in other countries around the world.

While I certainly do not agree with many of the things that he says or does, I will always regard him as a supremely courageous man who genuinely has the best interests of his country in mind ... as perhaps he alone(?) sees them.  

He took the Office of the President on a right-angle turn, as not a single one of his predecessors had ever dared to do, and went "where no (wo)man has gone before."  Because he perceived that the American people were demanding something very radical.  (Of course, he did so at extreme personal risk to himself.)

"What a very American(!) thing to do!"

Historians will never stop writing about Donald Trump.  "Something brand new happened here," for the very first time in American history.  Something that, in some ways, is (IMHO...) almost as radical as the American Revolution itself ... and yet, carried-out entirely within the auspices of the present system.  A true political revolution happened, and not a single shot was fired.

Hi @Patrick Metheny,

This is very well written, can you post a video of you singing and playing it? I like it a lot. 

I have a song called "woe to America" and I'm not posting it lol, it gets dark and angry. But I love my country very much. It makes me sad too! 

Nice job 🌺🌾🌼

THANK YOU!!  I was kind of afraid to post this but damnit I just get so angry when I think of the great history and the innumerable lives that have been lost to make this country what it is (was) and it just makes me literally sick to see what is happening now and feel so helpless...this is NOT the country I want my grandchildren to grow up in...

On 7/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, Patrick Metheny said:
    After all that this country.  has done to survive.  The hardships..      
    the struggles..     the countless of lives.    When it's strength                           
       was it's  honor.     Truth was it's core.     But with sadness and sorrow                 
     I'm not so proud anymore.     The torch was held high     in Lady Liberty's hand.                         It would shine         like a beacon of hope                 across the land.        Give us your tired..your hungry ..your poor.                                                 Now I just don't seem                   to be so so proud anymore.                     The land of the free                             and the home of the brave.                              The unknown soldier                                             the Arlington graves.                                      That magnificent light                                 Revere saw in that steeple.                       That great proposition                 that ALL men are equal.                       These are some           of the things               that when I was a child.                       Made me stand tall                                     and it made me so proud.                         But where are the values                    that we once held before.                          I just don't seem                                   to be proud anymore.                              But I WANT to see pride                                once more               fill this nation.             The American dreams                        and the great expectations.                        For ALL races and religions                           for ALL women and men.                                   I just want to feel proud                         of my country again.                               For all races and religions                       for all women and men.                               I just want to feel proud                              of my country again.........
    I just want to feel proud                  of my country again.

Patrick Metheny

Patrick

hope you don't mind  that I did this > it is great to be proud of your country  for some reason don't hear this to much over here.

John 

Thank you!  I love this country to my core but good lord!!  The only thing I just CANNOT understand is WHY we are just watching this insanity play out!!  Thank you again and feel free to do what you want with this...PLEASE!

Are you saying that Scottish people aren't proud of their country or don't say it often? I have in my mind that they were very proud people...maybe I misunderstood the " for some reason don't hear this too much over here" part.  Thank you again John...

22 minutes ago, scotsman89 said:

Patrick

hope you don't mind  that I did this > it is great to be proud of your country  for some reason don't hear this to much over here.

John 

Archived