Your Ad Could Be Here

Well, I'm back. EP coming out! How is everybody?

It's been a little while since I was active here (or at least doing more than lurking :))... I need to search around and see what everyone has been up to! Looking forward to that :) 

I've been doing well - my band (Under the Oak) released an album last April, and I'm about to release a solo EP - or really just 5 singles released one at a time I guess, with an accompanying physical CD... first single is Sept 28th!  It's exciting stuff! I'm learning so much, and coming back here is actually very interesting because there are so many resources/information available that wasn't even on my radar before, being such a newbie. Industry stuff, recording info... it makes me realize what a crazy journey I've been on the past couple years! Now I know (a little bit) about those things and need to keep learning.

Anyway - just wanted to pop in and say hello. Speaking of recording - although we did a studio album with the band (awesome experience!) my solo project has a really different story (recorded in a closet with a Zoom one night, and then mixed by a Grammy-winning producer/engineer! haha) - if you're curious about the long version of that story you can read it here otherwise I will not bore you to death! lol.

Just wanted to say hi - I hope to have some time to hang here a little more. Life is so busy (4 kids just started school and all the madness begins!!!) but I'm happy to be finding some time for music. It's been a cool journey :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Here's a little teaser/ad thing I made where you can hear a little snippet of one of the songs:

Sounds very pretty Maggie 😃

1 hour ago, Capo3tanya said:

Sounds very pretty Maggie 😃

Thank you ❤️🙏🏼

Sounding great Maggie.

A few basic questions lol...

what is your release plan? Are you doing direct sales? Distributing to download and streaming sites? If so which ones? Who is doing the distribution? Are you registered with a PRO? Have you registered your copyrights? Have you added ISRC codes to the recordings?

There are sooooo many other questions :)

What are you doing to market it? What about press and music blogger engagement?

BTW, consider doing radio edits for single releases. Ideally about the 3 min mark Really try to avoid anywhere near 4 mins for a single.... you just won’t get any airplay. You can then release the full length tracks as an album release.

Have you organised any remixes or alternate mixes?

Ok I will shut up now lol

8 hours ago, john said:

Sounding great Maggie.

A few basic questions lol...

what is your release plan? Are you doing direct sales? Distributing to download and streaming sites? If so which ones? Who is doing the distribution? Are you registered with a PRO? Have you registered your copyrights? Have you added ISRC codes to the recordings?

There are sooooo many other questions :)

What are you doing to market it? What about press and music blogger engagement?

BTW, consider doing radio edits for single releases. Ideally about the 3 min mark Really try to avoid anywhere near 4 mins for a single.... you just won’t get any airplay. You can then release the full length tracks as an album release.

Have you organised any remixes or alternate mixes?

Ok I will shut up now lol

LOVE THIS, John haha. You are the greatest. Never shut up :)

Well, still working on the release plan, but the bones are there. Thankfully I'm on a small indie label for this project that will handle a lot of those technical things like distribution, ISRC codes, etc. I'm registered with a PRO already from my band's release last April (BMI).

The first single is already scheduled to all the major streaming/download platforms. September 28th! The label sends everything out to everyone in their database as far as press/music blogger/DJ promo, but I will be working myself on more targeted and personal engagement with those outlets - while I value the "mass email" approach and recognize it's importance, I think it needs to be accompanied by more personal reachouts and more targeted time. So ANY TIPS you have on this front would be greatly appreciated!

I'm currently scrambling to try and accomplish this before the release - I've got less than 2 weeks lol. So far, I've submitted to 9 blogs on submithub.com but most are declining lol. It's tricky because it's a very unique project and while I tried to find the right blogs to appreciate that, I know it will take more time. I've also tried identifying certain blogs that have covered "similar" music and will reach out to them directly but I'm just beginning that process. I'd really love to have at least one blog or press sort of something on hand to accompany the release! 

I've got all the other songs coming out approximately one month apart, all the dates set and ready. All of the songs hover right around that 3 minute mark already, with the longest going to about 3:15. One is only 2 min long lol. But the others are just shy of 3 min.

I have never even thought about alternate or remixes! So these songs are literally 2 track each. A guitar and a vocal. Nothing more - I've thought about doing the same songs again in a more produced way, but I purposely kept these almost uncomfortably simple lol. There is definitely room for some additions and creativity though - I'm really curious about your thoughts here!

Anyway - now I'll shut up :) Thanks for your help :)

13 hours ago, Maggie Pope said:

LOVE THIS, John haha. You are the greatest. Never shut up :)

Well, still working on the release plan, but the bones are there. Thankfully I'm on a small indie label for this project that will handle a lot of those technical things like distribution, ISRC codes, etc. I'm registered with a PRO already from my band's release last April (BMI).

The first single is already scheduled to all the major streaming/download platforms. September 28th! The label sends everything out to everyone in their database as far as press/music blogger/DJ promo, but I will be working myself on more targeted and personal engagement with those outlets - while I value the "mass email" approach and recognize it's importance, I think it needs to be accompanied by more personal reachouts and more targeted time. So ANY TIPS you have on this front would be greatly appreciated!

I'm currently scrambling to try and accomplish this before the release - I've got less than 2 weeks lol. So far, I've submitted to 9 blogs on submithub.com but most are declining lol. It's tricky because it's a very unique project and while I tried to find the right blogs to appreciate that, I know it will take more time. I've also tried identifying certain blogs that have covered "similar" music and will reach out to them directly but I'm just beginning that process. I'd really love to have at least one blog or press sort of something on hand to accompany the release! 

I've got all the other songs coming out approximately one month apart, all the dates set and ready. All of the songs hover right around that 3 minute mark already, with the longest going to about 3:15. One is only 2 min long lol. But the others are just shy of 3 min.

I have never even thought about alternate or remixes! So these songs are literally 2 track each. A guitar and a vocal. Nothing more - I've thought about doing the same songs again in a more produced way, but I purposely kept these almost uncomfortably simple lol. There is definitely room for some additions and creativity though - I'm really curious about your thoughts here!

Anyway - now I'll shut up :) Thanks for your help :)

Good you have backing of an indie to take care of some mechanics.

You say more personal... how so? I would be interested in seeing one of your first contact messages. For example is it: “Hi, I am releasing a new single/ep/album and wondered if you would be interested in reviewing it on your blog?” Or similar?

Doing homework makes a difference. Connect with the bloggers on social media too.

Really, blogger an press and even radio station relationships are often long term relationships. They can take some time to develop... and the initial stages are a bit like getting a first date. You have to be an attractive proposition to them.

So why would they choose to write about you? What incentives are there to write about you? You could say it is only going to a select number of blogs, make it feel exclusive. You could highlight how well it is being received, you could mention how you will add their reviews to your social media, mailing list etc for your fans... if you have a lot of fans, all the better.

if your answer is “because I write good music” you assume they listen in the first place.

Do you have a press kit, an electronic press kit? Do you include press releases? Do you send them a press release first and follow up, or include the press release with your submission. Is your press release customised to the blogger/journo? These guys have deadlines... if you write press releases in a way that encourages the blogger.... say you write it in the style of their reviews, it makes their job easier, and their ability to reach deadlines easier. It also allows you to seed questions, even dictate their review to a degree.

It is worth thinking about your angle. What makes you, this project unique? Why should they click links? Press play? Give them reasons!

Have got creative with your submission? For example, why not record a video where you explain a little about the song/ep/album and mention how important it is to you and thank them for considering your submission... it’s a great way to come over as personal. There’s other things you can do too. These relationships are important and worth investing in.

I will happily interview you for Songstuff, that should help. As a site we really should also do release reviews too, but so far haven’t. Has your label set up many interviews?

I should turn this post into an article lol

Alternates and remixes...

Did you record to a click track? It can rob a little bit of emotion if you are not used to it, but it makes it much easier to remix.

As to alternates, why not do exactly what you have but had backing or harmony vocals? Or add some atmospheric, subtle strings etc. Just on extra instrument will add a big dimension. Remixes can be entirely different.

Have you recorded videos of ANY kind for each song? Video really is vital these days.

Okay wow. :) Again, I think you are the greatest.

By more personal, I initially just meant because I'd be reaching out on my own rather than the label doing it.

I am a big believer in personal connections and long term relationships, though... so thank you for the reminder that this can be important for bloggers as well. I have started some initial homework (finding bloggers that cover music of a similar feel, taking notes, finding out more about them) but the more I do, the more I realize what a huge undertaking it is! Because you're right - it's not really just about this particular release even. It's about relationships. I'll spend more time thinking about how to best 'introduce" myself. I've got a one-sheet/press release and am working on the EPK (I created what I think is a good one for the band, so am going to use the same format and have a little experience with that so that will help make it a little easier)

I wrote a blog post that I've been linking to (included in a link in my original post here, too) to help them understand the uniqueness of this project/my story... but am doubtful people will actually take the time to read it. I know most won't have that kind of inclination to click and read. 

I plan to have a video for each song - most will be very simple. The first is ready to go - I will pm it to you :) Right now, I'm using a private link to the video as an incentive to people to join my mailing list. They get the link in an email after subscribing (since I don't yet have much of a mailing list it's one of my goals to build that and my social media presence). The first video I literally just lit a candle and filmed it haha. But I personally think it's cool and fits the vibe of the song really well. I like it a lot more than I thought I would!

I have so much more swirling around in my head right now - thank you so much for the inspiration and your generous sharing of knowledge! I'm excited to dig in and get a good plan going...

Oh and yes I would LOVE to do a Songstuff interview! That would be fabulous :) You're awesome.

Thanks again!

Maggie

Archived