Your Ad Could Be Here

What Do You Do When You Release A Song?

Hi Gang

I thought I would find out what you do when you release a song?

Where do you post it?

What do you do to promote it?

Do you get it reviewed anywhere?

What way do you have to contact your fans?

Do you sell it through online store? Sell directly? Add it to streaming services? Give it away?

Cheers

John

• Noob

Ha! I thought this was another poll. It should be! ;)

Where do you post it?
Nowhere specifically. It gets released and distributed to all the online stores, then links are posted on Social media and on my network of websites.

What do you do to promote it?
All of the above plus radio plugging, email and social media campaigns, and Facebook advertising (Depending on the record)

Do you get it reviewed anywhere?
Anywhere that bothers to respond! :)

What way do you have to contact your fans?

Mailing lists.

Do you sell it through online store? Sell directly? Add it to streaming services? Give it away?

All major online stores plus my own store and the artist's website.
On the odd occasion I'll make a song for the public domain and give it away. This will be posted in places such as Soundcloud, Reverbnation and Soundclick, possibly others.

• 7 months later...

It's really hard for me to promote the new song/cover.

But I will try to promote in forum.

Fans may contact me through e-mail or instagram.

Yet I didn't sell it. I just post on youtube and wanna share the music

2 hours ago, YBMusicP said:

It's really hard for me to promote the new song/cover.

But I will try to promote in forum.

Fans may contact me through e-mail or instagram.

Yet I didn't sell it. I just post on youtube and wanna share the music

What makes it hard to promote?

45 minutes ago, YBMusicP said:

Maybe because I didnt pay to promote

so just posting on different social network isnt that effective

Paying doesn't just work. Done with the wrong set up, and strategy and paid promotion just burns money. The important thing is your plan... which.is the one thing most indie artists don’t have.

Setting aside paid promotion ideas, what were you doing to promote your music? When you make a release do you have a release plan? What social media did you post to? What tools do you use? What other resources / assets do you have? (Artist website, mailing list, press kit, blogs) How often did you post? What did you post about?  How did you build buzz?

There are are a ton of other questions but it’s a good place to start to help identify what’s not working in your set up.... although if you are just ad hoc posting... that a huge problem.

Two big questions:

How do you engage your existing fans?

How do you reach a new audience?

On 5/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, john said:

Paying doesn't just work. Done with the wrong set up, and strategy and paid promotion just burns money. The important thing is your plan... which.is the one thing most indie artists don’t have.

Setting aside paid promotion ideas, what were you doing to promote your music? When you make a release do you have a release plan? What social media did you post to? What tools do you use? What other resources / assets do you have? (Artist website, mailing list, press kit, blogs) How often did you post? What did you post about?  How did you build buzz?

There are are a ton of other questions but it’s a good place to start to help identify what’s not working in your set up.... although if you are just ad hoc posting... that a huge problem.

Two big questions:

How do you engage your existing fans?

How do you reach a new audience?

Maybe you are right.

I didnt have a plan.

I did engage existing fans mainly in IG.

Yet except posting in IG, I dont know how to reach any new audience

2 minutes ago, YBMusicP said:

Maybe you are right.

I didnt have a plan.

I did engage existing fans mainly in IG.

Yet except posting in IG, I dont know how to reach any new audience

Lets see if we can improve that for you :)

@john do you have any articles about what to do at this stage. I have a collection of music that I'm planning to finalize the mixes on and ship them off for mastering. I'lll probably self release on Bandcamp or something. I'm also bit lucky in that my best friend owns an internet hosting business so as long as I build it myself, he'll host a website for free. This is originally within the next six months or so. 

But... I'll admit this is probably my weakest area. I have no idea how to market myself. Hell, I haven't even really thought of a name for my musical project yet. 😛 My songs themselves probably wouldn't have names if it wasn't for the fact that the files need names. 😂

I've enjoyed some success in the past (almost 15 years ago now) and have been on compilations and college radio and such, but those instances had nothing to do with me. Other people found me, i sent them music, and they took care of everything. 

You've just asked to the right person! Haha

20 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

@john do you have any articles about what to do at this stage. I have a collection of music that I'm planning to finalize the mixes on and ship them off for mastering. I'lll probably self release on Bandcamp or something. I'm also bit lucky in that my best friend owns an internet hosting business so as long as I build it myself, he'll host a website for free. This is originally within the next six months or so. 

But... I'll admit this is probably my weakest area. I have no idea how to market myself. Hell, I haven't even really thought of a name for my musical project yet. 😛 My songs themselves probably wouldn't have names if it wasn't for the fact that the files need names. 😂

I've enjoyed some success in the past (almost 15 years ago now) and have been on compilations and college radio and such, but those instances had nothing to do with me. Other people found me, i sent them music, and they took care of everything. 

Hey

Happy to help!

I will send you a PM :)

Cheers

Archived