Your Ad Could Be Here

iv come to a point in production where I realize that  my beats sound flat on a tv or a phone. how do I mix the bass and kicks so they don't sound flat on all speakers. do I need to master it at a studio using hardware like a sub harmonic synthesiser? I watched a few tutorials on how and from what I gather you need to distort the bass and raise the higher frequencies but I cant seem to do it. any help would be much appreciated

• 4 months later...

The first link is what I consider a good bass mix probably the best Iv got. 

the 2nd link is an example of bass typically sounds.. 

with further research I found out that its good to mix in mono which im not sure how to set fl11 into mono and also to mix on crappy mid speakers to make it sound good on there

This video might help you with the mono thing of FL11 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGyPdOdUvXM

I think your second track basically lacks the upper harmonics in general. Whereas, the parts that go to the lowest notes(1:04, 3:20 etc.) are probably not audible to human ears, so you should consider layering it with an octave higher, version, and blend it into the mix.

With that said, some artists don't mind if the 808's don't come out of laptop speakers and whatnot, just as long as it comes through on ear buds and stuff.

When mixing, its always good to have a reference track/song to compare your mix to. Play the reference track on the same speakers or headphones and compare it to your mix, and just make the necessary adjustments as you go. Here are some videos on mixing 808's that I thought you might find helpful: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i93SEWmWuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9_LTaUqaU

Ken

7 hours ago, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

does layering up octaves work the same as on piano then? like when you press 2 or 3 octaves of the same note to get that stronger sound

That's a little off topic so I won't go into that, plus I'm not a pianist so I don't have much knowledge on voicing chords.

Just remember – your style of music is inherently "asking an awful lot from a set of puny earbuds!"  Therefore, if you want a particular set of sounds – that is to say, in a particular harmonic range – to "come out," be very sure that there isn't activity taking place in other ranges that would compete with them.  A speaker can't do double-duty ... especially earbuds!

Also – stop and consider your actual audience.  I've sat at stop-lights beside cars whose "awesome sub-sonic speakers" were moving my sun-visors from thirty feet away.  But I don't think that such sounds would do a damn thing for "earbuds," whereas sounds octaves higher just might have a chance.

Archived