Your Ad Could Be Here

SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I'm one of those people who go into a slump every year with the onset of winter. Grey skies, cold and lack of sunshine seriously dampen my enthusiasm. I noticed it particularly in regard to my songwriting motivation being absent most days anymore. It for sure isn't anything like writer's block because I never get that, ever. Think I'm going to look into buying a sunshine desk lamp. They're expensive but have been proven to work. The thoughts just aren't coming to me now on a moment by moment basis like they have before!

2 hours ago, DaveKell said:

I'm one of those people who go into a slump every year with the onset of winter. Grey skies, cold and lack of sunshine seriously dampen my enthusiasm. I noticed it particularly in regard to my songwriting motivation being absent most days anymore. It for sure isn't anything like writer's block because I never get that, ever. Think I'm going to look into buying a sunshine desk lamp. They're expensive but have been proven to work. The thoughts just aren't coming to me now on a moment by moment basis like they have before!

I too get this most years (fingers crossed I don't get it this year!). As Leo suggested, it sounds like a great topic for a song! Because it's something that we experience every year, it may be easier to write about. It will also be something that you can connect with! Most people I know do get seasonal depression, or at the very least have experienced it so it will be easy to connect with. As far as getting through it, the desk lamp will help, I'm sure. Another thing that you can do is get up and moving around. Maybe some exercise? It's hard to be in a depressive state when you're moving your body!

• 1 month later...

I see by your other song posted that you mention that you have a weekly jam session at a club. That's cool. I would guess you meet a variety of people that way. If anything if you haven't already done so, get to know some of the players or the new ones that come through the door.  Talking with people who have something in common like music is good therapy for writing.

And if you are not a part of a local songwriters club, go seek one out or start one. There is also NSAI songwriting chapters throughout the US. Anything to get you out of the house during winter is a plus.

Going to a public library is sometimes a unique experience. I go from time to time to research my genealogy. In fact it led to a song I wrote called "Black 47" since someone in my lineage came from Ireland.

For me, I don't start thinking about music as far as writing until autumn rolls around. With daylight being shorter, you tend to go indoors sooner and as the weather gets colder you end up spending alot of time indoors..and well...then there's no excuse not to pick up the guitar or finish recording. I do most of my recording and writing during these months.

So, my thought is, take a negative and turn it into a positive.

Edited by Driftwood
update info