Your Ad Could Be Here

Do you love a metronome or hate it?

I wanted to see if there are people like me who actually hate the thing. I truly hate it. It annoys the crap out of me so I never really use it. When I was 12 and younger and I composed music on my keyboard I already hated the thing. Most people use it to stay in beat but if I use it you can be sure that I will go offbeat.

The metronome can be a good tool for certain people, it is not for me. It is good that I do not really need it.

So what are your thoughts on the metronome, do you find it usefull or are you a person like me who hates it because it will actually make you go off beat.

In playing some things on violin you need to have the bow going the right direction to the beat. This is mainly why I use it, to train myself to play correctly. If you get the bow going the wrong way some passages loose the correct emphasis while also making it more difficult to play later passages. I find it especially helpful in getting triplets correct...three notes...one beat. The metronome is good for training on things like this.

I only use a metronome in the beginning. After that I go without it.

If you find that you are having trouble with a metronome keep in mind that you can change the speed and the value each not gets on the downbeat. Examples 4/4 or 6/8.

If you can't keep with a metronome you likely will have trouble playing with other musicians.

I was the exact same way. I've only recently begun to use the metronome. No one says you have to use one. I think some people have a better natural rhythm than others. Lots of my rhythms have been somewhat syncopated and they don't fit any standard meter very well.

I don't like them at all really. I've used them fine, but never really enjoyed it. Nowadays I don't think they are as important as they used to be. Now, keeping the timing down is still super important but that can be achieved easily with a simple drum loop with the rpm set how you want it. It's just much more enjoyable to play along to drums than a click and you accomplish the same thing.

I know in the pro world, in the studio, it's a must ... or ... at least it used to be. It just seems to make sense to do the drums first anyway. My ideal is to lay down a drum track, record using that until you get the song all layed out exactly how you want it. Then the drummer can re-record playing along to the new music adding fills and whatnot and then you can, if needed, re-record the guitars and bass to gel perfectly with the new drum track. So much time in the studio is spent on mixing, mastering, etc. that the actual playing tends to be a small part of the process. Which is why I like my method as it allows me to actually play a little more.

Similar to Randy (Just1L), I use them but don't enjoy it. Using it has normally been accompanied by counting, lots of counting, and that gets in the way of feel. Don't get me wrong, I use them when I have to, but it doesn't float my boat :)

As "Just1L" said above, rather than play to a metronome, I'd rather practice to a drum loop or drum pattern of some sort. It's much more inspiring than simply a ticking metronome.

Archived