Your Ad Could Be Here

I need help with implementing electronic guitar sounds into a DAW

• Noob

I'm a simple aspiring singer, songwriter trying to learn the ropes with musical DAWS. So that I can turn my lyrics and riff ideas into actual songs. I've been in a couple of Metal bands when I was younger and consider myself to be an above average songwriter, but hey I'm obviously biased. It's been a long time since I decided to chance  my dreams, but now that I'm starting to get a little older and I have some spare time on my hands I want to see what I can do.

I have a lot of half finished song ideas from my days back with my old bands. I want to create music for these songs, but don't have a guitarist buddy who I can grab when I want to play music for me since I can't play any instrument and can only sing.

My question is. Is there a way (or the simplest way) to create guitar riffs on a DAW such as Ableton or Presonus? Would I use a key board? Is there another program or plug in required? I don't need anything that sounds fantastic, I'm just trying to get some of my ideas down so that I can approach another musician with what I am trying to do as a songwriter. Also, I don't have the time or desire to learn the guitar. What advice can you friendly people give me?

Michael

Knowing guitar chord voicing helps if you are looking for something reasonable, the notion of up and down strokes etc, but a lot is in the core sound and effects. There are a whole range of great guitar synth/sampler packs, but as I am a guitarist I am not best placed to guide you, and I don’t get a load of time in the studio just now.

one of these guys should be able to help:

@Steve Mueske @starise @Richard Tracey

Steve is an awesome metal guitarist, but is also a very talented electronics musician. He also reviews VST synths for Songstuff. 

Starise (Tim) can can play a few instruments but I don’t know his experience level with guitar specifically.

Richard can”t play guitar and I am pretty sure he experimented a lot trying to find a good solution to this.

Studying what guitarists can and cannot do on their instruments will go far in making guitar patches on synths sound realistic. From the mid-1970s onward, including his mid-'80s Miami Vice soundtrack days, Jan Hammer has made a very good living as a keyboard player by using a Minimoog through a guitar amp to sound exactly like a rock lead guitarist (Jeff Beck has called Hammer his favorite "electric guitarist") by very carefully emulating the licks that guitarists do on their instruments. It's a very different technique than say, playing grand piano (which Hammer can also do extremely well), and involves a completely different mindset and finger skills. Even if "all" you want to do is play low-note riffs and power chords, a bit of study of the actual instrument will help immensely.

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to what has been mentioned,  You could also consider guitar loops. Quite a few loops come along with Ableton . Once upon a time it was more difficult to make some loops fit a song. Nowadays loops can easily be tuned to different keys and stretched with little loss in fidelity. 

• 1 year later...

Native Instrumenst has some amazing guitar sound you can play on keyboards. Check them out.

Archived