Your Ad Could Be Here

Wanting to Sing More

I've been taking singing lessons for a few months now and I would honestly say its been a life changing experience. I no longer hate the sound of my own voice and sometimes I actually enjoy it. My lessons are coming to an end next week but I've already signed up for another round of lessons but with a new teacher this time. I want multiple perspectives on this front.

I only have one issue, I want to sing more. I've worked out with my roommates that I can sing 3 days a week for an hour. Which I find totally reasonable because I do not want to annoy them. But I feel like its slowing down my progress and where I could be right now if I could sing everyday like I want to.

I live in Toronto and I am looking for ways to sing more often. I'd love to have my own space to sing for hours and recording. Are there any creative ways or tips to get around this? Or any thoughts about this problem I have?

This may sound horrible but karaoke?  

I mean you would have to find the absolutely least cheesy place you could but that is a place singers sing and you get instant feedback from real people. Yeah... you have to listen to a lot of bad singing too.

Hey @Old Technology

When I started singing I just tried to find people willing to jam together. I searched in Craiglist and so on, and I found a lot of oportunities to sing, and also I even made some original songs with my jamming friends. Maybe you could check that? We normally went to rehearsal studio, but also sometimes we met in a park, with the acoustic guitar and a cajon... It was good practice and lots of fun.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:30 AM, Michan said:

Hey @Old Technology

When I started singing I just tried to find people willing to jam together. I searched in Craiglist and so on, and I found a lot of oportunities to sing, and also I even made some original songs with my jamming friends. Maybe you could check that? We normally went to rehearsal studio, but also sometimes we met in a park, with the acoustic guitar and a cajon... It was good practice and lots of fun.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, themistero said:

This may sound horrible but karaoke?  

I mean you would have to find the absolutely least cheesy place you could but that is a place singers sing and you get instant feedback from real people. Yeah... you have to listen to a lot of bad singing too.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check these out. I also just discovered the Toronto Reference Library has a audio and video recording room that is free to book for 2 hours a day! Looks like I need to get a library card soon! They also lend out instruments and give free subscription to Lynda tutorials! 

I sing frequently. Just going about my day, shopping, driving whatever.... Singing at work or at the shops can have people looking at you, but generally they will be smiling... and they get used to it, and so do you. It just becomes what you do. It helps sort performance nerves too. Add in open mic nights etc and you can really begin to get settled in as a singer.

Archived