Your Ad Could Be Here

Can I become a music major?

I'm currently a sophomore in highschool. I have a lot of experience with music, having played piano and violin for 8 & 7 years respectively, but I have not discovered my true passion for music until I joined marching band (and similarly, symphonic band, pep band, and jazz band). I am picking up snare, marimba, etc.. all the typical instruments for percussion, and suddenly music has a whole new meaning for me. I used to hate practicing and would avoid it at all costs and I'm afraid that's made my piano and violin skills worse than someone who has been playing for 2 or so years. But I want to change and I know I want to be a music major. The scary thing for me is, can I become good enough in only the span of two years?

The hardest piece I've ever played on piano is Liebestraume no. 3 by Liszt, and for violin, the double Bach piece. I am still very much a beginner in percussion. I am currently taking piano lessons, but I also want to take violin and percussion lessons too. If I worked really hard, could I make it? I have never been naturally talented in music, but I am willing to try and risk the downsides. Thank you for reading this.

• 3 months later...
  • Noob

It is a perfect choice for you to gain more experience in high school. Interacting with the world of music will be very helpful for discovering strengths, weaknesses, and interests. A solid foundation from high school will play an important role.
Here are some useful things. Let’s have a look: 

• Find a teacher in the music area and learn important things from him. Having guidance from teachers in a specific area will be very helpful for exploring the new things which you are not aware of.
  • Learn music theory and ask your teacher some additional resources. Also, you can take help from the internet as well.
  • Join ensembles - If you are in a band, join a choir. If you are in a choir, try learning an instrument! Perform with ensembles or live music band, your experience counts valuable assets.
  • Perform as often as possible – Don’t just stick to performing only in ensembles. Explore more opportunities as much as you can. This would be beneficial for your career.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:40 AM, Areeson Wi said:

I have never been naturally talented in music, but I am willing to try and risk the downsides. Thank you for reading this.

Hi Areeson,

Before you can become great at anything you have to be passionate about it, which you say you are. Without the passion, practice becomes work, and maybe you feel you don't have the talent because it felt like work before. Everything I have ever done in life I have worked my butt off to be the best I can be. That is what you need to do. If you do that you will never regret putting the work in because you will know you gave it your all. If end the end that is not good enough, still you will have chased your dream. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

It's fantastic to hear about your newfound passion for music through marching band! Transitioning to percussion may present challenges, but your dedication and musical background give you a strong foundation. With consistent practice, lessons in piano, violin, and percussion, and a positive mindset, you can certainly make significant progress in two years. Remember to embrace the joy of making music and believe in yourself. Good luck on your musical journey – you've got this!

Hi Areeson,

Passion is a wonderful thing. I remember being in high school and getting passionate about music. However, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, because I also know that decisions made in high school can have life long consequences. The vast majority of music majors end up doing something else for a career. That's why the joke goes something like this, What did the former music major say at McDonald's? Answer, Would you like fries with that? Remembering back I also know I could have majored in a science, when I took Geology as a senior (to fulfill a lab requirement) the professor asked me if I'd be interested in majoring in it. I told him I'd be graduating soon, but that question made an impact. Instead I ended up doing a lot of sales in my career. I was pretty good at it, but not great. I'm still doing music, but I know a lot of others who had more lucrative careers who are still doing music. I would suggest you explore what's required to obtain a position in an orchestra (and how difficult it is to get a spot in any major orchestra) or how many bands don't make it big. Talk to older musicians about their experience as a professional. One thing that will probably stick out is this, nobody cares where you went to school or what you learned, they'll want to know if you can play. Are you a monster at your instrument? You have the benefit of time, you have a few years to find out if you can become a monster (apparently you're not now). Just keep in mind that's only the first requirement for success as a musician. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really old thread from a one time poster.  But hey, just because they're not around, doesn't mean discussion can't continue. :)

I worked as a technologist in a university music school for 17 years. I've known people leave with their degrees going on to all kinds of things. Music, if not for the obvious performance, composition and teaching occupations, is considered one of the most valuable stepping stones to much more lucrative careers like lawyers, accountants and many medical fields. These days I work for the same university but as the campus photographer (yeah, I took a pretty radical change in career at almost 50 years old), and I often do photoshoots at the hospital that is attached to the university. I frequently bump into people I knew in the School of Music, who are now surgeons, genetics researchers and anesthesiologists. Music has taken a back seat for them, though they all seem to still pursue it in some way, but it was their stepping stone to getting to where they are now.