Your Ad Could Be Here

Top 5 Gigs You Have Attended

Hey Gang

Of all the gigs you have attended, what are your favorites?

Pink Floyd - Division Bell Tour, Earls Court, last night. 4 hours+ of music including all of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, most of The Wall, tracks from All other albums. Awesome.

Foo Fighters, rescheduled “oops I broke my leg tour”, Edinburgh. In your face

Crosby, Stills and Nash unplugged tour, Glasgow. Fantastic songwriters, great harmonies

Radiohead, TRNSMT festival, Glasgow. The same set as the televised a Glastonbury set a few weeks earlier. Awesome.

Paul Rodgers and Bad Company, boy can he sing

There are so many more I could look too . AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Massive Attack, Groove Armada, Hawkwind, Jethro Tull, Rory Gallagher, Feeder, Robert Plant, John Martyn, Motörhead, and many, many others  Loads of Rock, electronica, chill out, folk, pop, indie, even some classical. Great memories, some really inspiring stuff.

So, share your best gigs!

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...

Every year, In eastern Ohio, just west of Wheeling, West Virginia, they hold an event called "Jamboree in the Hills", in a natural bowl shaped amphitheater. It features many of the day's top country acts along with many famous older ones. it runs over 4 days and average attendance the last time I was there was over 120,000 a day. It is like a country Woodstock, but held every year. I won't even try to list all the great acts I saw/heard there.

I also lived all around Los Angeles from !969-1973 and saw all the major rock and folk and blues acts around at the time. the best one included Bloomfield Blues Band, It's a Beautiful Day, Mountain, Zappa, Jefferson Airplane, and Big Brother and the Holding Company. There were more but I can't remember them all.

And lest I forget, The Statler Brothers Farewell tour in Atlantic City, There will never be another quartet like them.

• Editors

It's too expensive to afford gig tickets here so I've not attended way too many gigs but the ones I have is because of being a musician myself. (hence the poverty :P) 

1. Anderson Paak and the Free Nationals - I was on the same line up as this incredible band for a music festival that happened here in Bangalore. He is probably the most monstrous performer I've ever seen in my life. One moment Anderson is on the kit and killing it like nobody else and the other moment he's at the edge of the stage dancing his ass off all the while being extremely tight with his band. It was really something. Got to meet him at the green room later on, he knew he's a frikkin boss and that was his attitude. (not in a bad way) 

2. Eric Martin, front man of Mr Big - he came down to India a few years ago and was playing a gig at the venue I started my career off at. He had a busted guitar so I got to take mine and be part of his stage tech for the evening. As a person, he's incredibly funny and hyper. But yeah, it was mad to see him belt out the hits alone on stage while commanding the 500+ packed crowd to move throughout (all with just him and the guitar). Was quite the childhood dream to see him live let alone be his stage tech. 

3. Guthrie Govan - I've seen him twice. One with the band The Aristocrats and secondly with his own band both of which were incredible. On the latter which happened in 2018, his greenroom was next to mine and I was a nervous wreck trying to get a word with him. He was super quiet and kept to his beer and umm, his joint and just nodded politely to whatever I could gather and spit out lmao. 

4. Slash with Myles Kennedy - this was quite a few years ago. Myles is not from this planet. Its astonishing how he can rip his voice with such control and flare. Kinda almost stole the show from Slash there lmao 

5. Scott Henderson Trio - there's nothing like seeing Scott Henderson doing his thing live. The venue was packed and it was chaos hearing him play. Loud, in your face with guitar skills that few possess on this planet - what a treat it was! 

Archived