Your Ad Could Be Here

How long does it usually take you to write lyrics?

Hi Everybody,

As I was writing another lyric today I started wondering about how other people write. My ideas for hooks and songs come from many different places that i call my muse. Sometimes she is kind and sweet and hands me a lyric that flows from the end of my pen as I am writing it. Sometimes she won't let me get to sleep until I have gotten back up and started writing what she gave me. Sometimes she wakes me from a sound sleep and if I don't get up and start writing, she makes the ideas disappear. Sometimes I wake with them. sometimes they hit me as I'm driving, or in the shower.

Most of the time, from the time I start writing, whether it be with a pen or keyboard, the basic lyric is on the page in 20-30 minutes. And yes, always rewrites. There are also times when I block, and can't finish a lyric. Sometimes I will come back and finish them a day or so later, sometimes it is months later, and sometimes not at all.

How does it work with you???

Hey John, my muse is never sweet or kind but all the other scenarios are true for me. Though I have to include the words that come and have no development...they sit on pages waiting for a co-writer to help make them a full lyric. I let them sit there because I don't force my writing...

You've hit the nail on the head with this post. Maybe someone can post some solutions to developing lyrics when the muse has vanished? LOL

If the flow is going I'll write my lyrics in one setting 2-3 hours or less.  At times I have to hammer away and it will be over several days to a week.  Very rarely is it longer than that.  I find my muse is my guitar and I just keep playing and the words come eventually in what I want to say.  I love the creative process, there is nothing like it.

9 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

Maybe someone can post some solutions to developing lyrics when the muse has vanished? LOL

You are right on the money with you can't force a lyric. They come out like garbage when you do.

When my muse goes on vacation, sometimes i put a random thought on paper, or on my screen and see where it takes me. That's what I did with the one I wrote yesterday- "Give My Soul Some Peace".

5 hours ago, Philip Spillman said:

If the flow is going I'll write my lyrics in one setting 2-3 hours or less.  At times I have to hammer away and it will be over several days to a week.  Very rarely is it longer than that.  I find my muse is my guitar and I just keep playing and the words come eventually in what I want to say.  I love the creative process, there is nothing like it.

Sadly, I don't play anymore, but happily, my lyrics come without any music except a flow in my head. I have tried writing to others music but it just doesn't work for me. Dunno why but... And yes, I love creating, and sharing.

Archived