Your Ad Could Be Here

MOVING ABROAD TO FORM A BAND

• Noob

Hi to this wonderful forum ! So I am Alex I am 23 years old I have been playing the guitar mainly the electric for the last about 6 years and currently I am taking into the consideration to get a work and move abroad to form a band . I have focused in cities like Glasgow and London but  I d like to hear some other reccomendations and of course some first hand experiences regarding the music scene in each city and in general the life there. The genre I d like to play with the other band mates is a mix of Emo/Midwest/Post rock . Are there any cities in Britain ( andnot  only of course , in Europe also) that have some on going scene on this genre ? And last I am in search of any musicians/artists communities meaning common living among others artists , I have heard that there are some spaces that shared by artists in London  , is there any clue about?   I am planning this move in a year approximately, thank you a lot for your time  , hope all the  best.

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the community and nice to meet you.  Sounds like the start of a plan.  I'm here in the US so can't help much on locations. But we have quite a few members that know those areas of the world.  :)

Peggy

Hey

Welcome to the Songstuff family!

I will say this, there are many good reasons to go off around the world, but be careful of shiny paper syndrome and "the grass is always greener on the other side". By moving you are fundamentally starting again. You can reduce the problems of relocation by reaching out to build a network in the place you plan to go (which to an extent you are doing), but it takes a lot of effort to build a network of contacts that will rival the contacts you already have.

More important than your simple contacts is that you need to look seriously at why you didn't get as far as you wanted in the locations you have been operating in and working out some lessons learned. What to repeat, and what to do differently. There is absolutely no point in going somewhere else and expecting that relocation to give you a different result. If you go somewhere new and do the same thing, you can expect a very similar result some time down the road.

So, yes, go somewhere new, prepare the way and start establishing contacts as soon as possible... but make damn sure that you do things differently. Indeed, dare to do it very differently.

:)

Cheers

John

• Noob

John thank you a lot for your advice , I will take it into consideration seriously,  I d like to ask you if you have any reccomendations for any other social platforms for musicians or any active groups on fb , I have done research and found some,,  thank you a lot for your time , ! 

Archived