Your Ad Could Be Here

Hello there

• Noob

My name is Kelly and I am a 47 year old musician. I primarily play the bass guitar. I stopped playing music for awhile and I picked it back up about 6 years ago. I like to play rock, grunge and metal style music, but I find myself listening to broader genres. Before this pandemic, I was playing live music about once a month. I am here to improve my songwriting and composition. I feel I know 100's of songs, but I struggle with developing riffs into full song ideas. 

• Like 2

• Noob

I do record at home. My setup is basic. My bass or guitar signal into a Line 6 Helix audio interface, USB to PC. I use Cakewalk (DAW) and EZ Drummer to lay down drum tracks. I coach gymnastics in Southern California. 

Edited by CalEliteCoach

• Noob

It is my goal to write original music in the rock genre and share it with friends. I have only ever contributed bass lines to music projects I have worked with over the years. I am self taught musician. My experience with formal lessons lasted about 1 year. I received some music theory in highschool and picked up things here and there from the net or youtube. 

Recently, I have been collaborating online with friends. We are beginning to write an album piece by piece through dropbox or email. Usually a basic scratch track is provided and we record our ideas and someone else then assembles it to a demo version. This is very different than guys sitting in a room and writing together and jamming something out.

The reason I am here is that I have written about 10 riffs or ideas for MY original songs usually with a bass line, guitar, and drums. I would like some guidance to help me complete these ideas. Mostly, I would like to know what guides the process of songwriting. For example, if I write a riff and I believe it's good for a chorus or a verse how do I connect them? Do you just keep noodling until something fits? Are there basic guidelines that help you fill in the gaps?

I will share some of my ideas here and welcome critique. 

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Songstuff!

22 hours ago, CalEliteCoach said:

For example, if I write a riff and I believe it's good for a chorus or a verse how do I connect them? Do you just keep noodling until something fits? Are there basic guidelines that help you fill in the gaps?

That's a broad question and can be alot of ground to cover.  I've said the same thing to myself when working on a new song.. of course it has to do with what type of song your creating...  so

Noted a couple of ideas not knowing more about your music and for sure there are others to help..

A basic exercise.. If you're trying to connect the parts v to c, try playing the last 2 chords of your verse and the first chord of the chorus and make sure that sounds the way you want it.  If it doesn't, back up a couple more chords in the verse make adjustments until you get the sound that works for you. 

You can use cadence, like..end the verse on a V chord  that's building energy into the chorus follow by an I chord... have a key change between the song parts, or add a pre-chorus to make the transition. Rhythm, tempo, dynamics, lyrics..

Lots of fun just noodling, too :)

Peggy

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 6:06 AM, CalEliteCoach said:

I feel I know 100's of songs, but I struggle with developing riffs into full song ideas. 

me too :) 

Some of my favorite tunes I've written stem just from that issue......just jam one thing with another thing ;) sometimes it works sometimes not so much :) 

may all the above posts of great information leave you good and thoroughly confused :) and welcome!

and bass is tough to do well.....I could pretty well plunk along on a piano/guitar ignoring everything, much harder to do with a bass, they're less forgiving if you're playing more than one note/rest ;)