Your Ad Could Be Here

Does Your Mother Know (ABBA cover by Just1L)

Quick backstory, the short version. There was an album I used to listen to when I was around 10 that I truly loved. I have thought of that album many, many times over the years but couldn’t remember the name of it, only remembering a few songs on it. About 2 months ago I found it on Youtube and to my surprise, it includes a few groups that I consider my biggest musical influences but I had not clue that they were on that album. I only remembered a few of the disco ones. So Cheap Trick was the biggest surprise but the next one, ABBA, was also on there and they are a major influence as well. So on that note I created this ABBA cover in honor of them, the album and just music in general. Here’s the link to the actual album from 1979 on YouTube. Starflight 1979

FYI - I'm posting Soundcloud and YouTube versions so I can hear the difference.

• Like 2

Well I was hoping for Dancing Queen ;), but sounds great! Especially loved the air-raid siren!? hahah

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cody said:

Well I was hoping for Dancing Queen ;), but sounds great! Especially loved the air-raid siren!? hahah

Thanks Cody. Somehow Dancing Queen still is my favorite. It's amazing I'm not sick of it. Yeah, the siren just felt appropriate considering the topic and all. Thanks again!

Randy

Edited by Just1L

16 hours ago, Patchez said:

Soundcloud was noticeably, +dB and full spectrum "more" lo, mids, hi's. Listening with beyerdynamic studio mon. HP's. 

Great work. 

I remember when they came out.

In my region, they were "new" and no one knew what to make of them -- in a good way. I think when folks look back from now they don't "get" hearing them and others the first time among whatever else was played, on FM Radio at that time. Again, in my region, -- can't know your experience.

(And no "MTV" unless you had cable, and, -- what's cable? I didn't own a "Stereo" :)

I distinctly remember someone asking for someone to check the Strobe on the Turntable, -- was it off pitch and another saying, "oh, no, it's supposed to sound that way"... -- interesting. Well to me it is. 

-- Well, great sound, good for you!  

Thanks Patchez. I didn't know who they were until this album I guess and to me it is interesting that while I really like them, I had no clue they were on this particular album until I found it again years later. I recall at a grade-school fair/picnic when I was young there was a balloon and dart game. I can't remember exactly what you had to do to win (i.e. how many popped balloons) but I came home with 5 albums that day and ABBAs greatest hits was one of them. For some reason I always thought that was the first time I really listened to them. Oh well, I guess my memory has always been pretty hazy. :) Thanks again for the comments. Much appreciated.

Randy

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great version. I used to do this myself with my glam covers band in the 90s, along with Waterloo. I heard one of their new songs, which seemed like an AI version of an Abba song, very The Day Before You Came, with all the moves but somehow didn't have the old magic to my ears. I think it might've had something to do with their great era being pre-MIDI, so their writing process is different now.