Your Ad Could Be Here

learning to sing advice

I was building a rap song laying down verses getting different  track ideas down, then I switched up the beat which  I wanted to add more instrumentation too but I decided to try and fill that with a melody. I had tons of ideas in how I wanted it to sound but a lot of the notes I couldn't hit even with autotune. I simplified and tried to harmonize some parts to make it stronger. I like how its sounding I wonder how it sounds to a singer with experience. im going to continue back to the rap song cause it was a spontaneous distraction im excited to hear a second or third opinion in how it sounds or could be improved or even if there's any potential for future singing on tracks. I  wont be offended so be as harsh or kind as you choose:)

Hey Alo

It probably comes as no surprise, the secret is... practice. Ok, you also need to now what to practice! I could advise, but you would be better getting advice from @Mahesh. He works professionally as both a singing teacher and as a singer.

Nice to hear you singing... though for assessment and training purposes it is much better if your voice was heard raw... no effects at all. I understand that for someone starting their singing journey that can be a nerve wracking thing. Just remember, we all started there. Most people still get nervous no matter their experience level. They have just learned to funnel it in a constructive way (generally). So, suck it up, record something in YouTube as unlisted and share it accordingly, or maybe get a Skype assessment? Either way, people who help you need to hear your voice "as is" to really stand a chance of helping you.

Nerves are a killer. They change how your voice behaves. Your range, your tone. So, I sing everywhere I go. At first people think, "who is tis whackadoodle" but very soon they just get used to it and you become part of the scenery. Instead of being Alo you become Alo, the singing guy" big deal. That aside, when you sing all quiet and apologetic like, it changes your range, tone, sustain etc. Make your mistakes loud and proud. That way the cringe helps you fuel your motivation to exercise and your determination not to make that sort of mistake again!

Either way, have fun bud. Singing is awesome and you might just surprise yourself. :)

Cheers

John

heres a quick take I did with just raw dry vocals no eq no reverb no autotune. I still think it sounds ok feel pretty confident sharing no cringe. whats my voice doing at 32 seconds it sounds weird, when I was singing it sounded like I already recorded and was harmonizing but its just one take felt like two singing voices

https://youtu.be/-i_MPkzK3tM

• Editors
On 8/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

heres a quick take I did with just raw dry vocals no eq no reverb no autotune. I still think it sounds ok feel pretty confident sharing no cringe. whats my voice doing at 32 seconds it sounds weird, when I was singing it sounded like I already recorded and was harmonizing but its just one take felt like two singing voices

https://youtu.be/-i_MPkzK3tM

Actually you've got a nice sounding voice there. There was issues with handling the pitch but it's nothing you can't fix with practice of various kinds. But I do think you have the potential to sing in future tracks. As John mentioned, there's no alternative to repetition, particularly, of muscular co-ordinations that are comfortable and relaxed. It really helps teach your body to start using your instrument in the 'correct' 'musical' way without having to put too much thought into it. Ah, the magic of muscle memory.

I'd love to see you pursue it! :)

Archived