Your Ad Could Be Here

Choking Up

Hi All,

I am curious, is it just me, or do any of you have songs you can't do because you get so choked up emotionally you can't sing them? I have some I wrote for my mom, and at least one I can think of that I can't sing karaoke; "Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton, because it reminds me so much of my childhood and the kindness of my mother. Please list any of yours if you have them.

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man. Caught me by surprise as I only remembered it was a favourite of my old man's half way through.  

With a chorus far too high for my vocal range as well, it was a karaoke performance that won't be repeated 😆

No others I can think of :)

3 minutes ago, Branden said:

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man. Caught me by surprise as I only remembered it was a favourite of my old man's half way through.  

With a chorus far too high for my vocal range as well, it was a karaoke performance that won't be repeated 😆

No others I can think of :)

Very nice song. I do lots of Billy Joel karaoke, I especially love "Just the Way You Are", So much better than the other one. I have been lucky to have been blessed with lots of range, it has gotten smaller as I get older, but still good enough to surprise people.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:21 PM, John W Selleck said:

I am curious, is it just me, or do any of you have songs you can't do because you get so choked up emotionally you can't sing them

Perfoming, maybe not.. except choking myself up at home while singing.  Sometimes it happens to me while writing and singing it to set the melody. I have a couple of mine that just reading them still brings out the original emotion that created the song..with tears streaming. 

4 hours ago, Peggy said:

Perfoming, maybe not.. except choking myself up at home while singing.  Sometimes it happens to me while writing and singing it to set the melody. I have a couple of mine that just reading them still brings out the original emotion that created the song..with tears streaming. 

Maybe that's what we need, because if we feel it, it is a good sign others might too. I have had people cry just reading some of mine, or hearing them. One young woman in her 20's started just about bawling at one of my love songs. After she recovered I asked why, she replied: "I wish a man would feel like that about me!". Feelings are what we are after when we write.

Archived