Your Ad Could Be Here

Help figuring out key of song and possible chorus/bridge options?

• Noob

I don't have any real music theory training. I know basics but mostly I write just by ear. Just using what sounds good. I'm working on a new song starting out on guitar and I'm not quite sure what key this is in. 

The verse (or chorus I don't know yet but thinking verse) is Fm7, Cm7,A#maj/Bbmaj. Sometimes after the Cm7 I'll play a G#m7. Was also thinking of using that transition (The Cm7 to the G#m7) to go into the chorus (I might flip these I don't know I'll take advice on that too).

So for the chorus coming out of that G#m7 I kind of pause and go back to Cm7, A#maj/Bbmaj, Fm7. G#m7, Cm7, A#maj/Bbmaj

I also played around with going from the verse to G#m7 to G#maj, A#maj, Cm7.

So I have no idea what key this is in hah. I was thinking in Fm but the G#m throws me. Maybe Dorian? Or maybe key of Db? I don't know.

Question 1:  Based on the chords given here in the verse and chorus, what key is this in? I'm playing it in a more rhythmic, soulful, groovy kind of vibe sort of a littlewing/john mayer style with similar chord shapes and double stop frills. 

Question 2: Based on the (maybe?) verse chord progression the  Fm7, Cm7,A#maj/Bbmaj, what else would make a good chorus? If I kept the current version of a chorus ( G#m7, Cm7, A#maj/Bbmaj) what is a chord that can tie the two together instead of just a long pause? Like what would be a good pre-chorus and then a chord or two to smoothly get back into the verse? 

Question 3: Based on the these chords what could make a good bridge? 

Since I don't really know the key it's kind of hard to find ways to tie these various progressions together and come up with ideas for choruses and pre-choruses, bridges, etc. Also a vocal melody is hard to come up with (suggestions on that are welcome too! haha) I know this was kind of a long and loaded question but any help would be greatly appreciated!! If an audio sample would make it easier to answer let me know and I can record all the parts quickly. 

Thanks for your time and any help!!

Wayyyyyyy outside of my zone...........I'd recommend playing that one chord/note thats sounds like "insert noise here" followed by........."other inserted noise"   sorry no help from me, my theory knowledge is limited to circle of fives and tunings.......there's enough other crap floating around up there, no room for,  or desire to know more than that......so I don't get bogged down or stifled by questions/hangups like the one you're having now! hahaha best of luck!

• Noob
On 9/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, fasstrack said:

It's in Bb. You write A# Maj7/Bb Maj I think out of confusion. (You stated that you don't have theoretical knowledge). You do realize they're the same chord? Different spelling. Stick with the Bb Maj 7, b/c the F Min 7 C Min 7 are in that key and leading there (Bb is the I or 'home' chord). A # is a different animal, different key.  

Also, it's hard to tell where you're going w/o a melody, but might I suggest that reversing the F and C chords to C Min 7 F min 7 (or, better yet, F 7) Bb Maj 7 is a stronger progression. 

I'd love to help with the rest of your questions, but with no melody it's very hard to suggest anything further. Can you post one somehow? It would be much easier.

Hope the little bit I did suggest helped a little. And good luck.

(Theory will only help you understand and write music better---there are tons of books, and probably youtube videos out there. Dig in, man. You'll be glad you did)... 

Thanks for the reply man. So Bb? Okay cool that's good to know. Here is an mp3 of a quick scratch track of the chord progression for the verse and chorus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxhhpkl346j5w4p/Latest Song demo progression .mp3?dl=0

Weird though if it's in Bb than how does the G#minor 7 fit in at the end of the verse and in the chorus because thats not in the key? Maybe listening to it and the melody like you said will help?

Id love your help with crafting this arrangement you seem to really know what you're doing and I want this song to be really good. Next level good!

As you'll hear by the demo right now I just have pauses in between the verse and chorus so maybe some transition chords would work better or a pre-chorus? I also have no idea what to do for a bridge. Haha. 

Anyway give me your thoughts after you hear the recording. 

Thanks for your time and help!

• Noob
41 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

Your spelling of chords threw me. Your little vamp is clearly in F# Minor. The chords I heard repeated were mostly F# Min and C#  Min---sometimes B Min. Like a i v or i iv v in F# Min (lower case letters indicate a minor tonality).   

Best I can offer on what I heard. Hit some theory books. They'll help unconfuse you. And good luck, seriously...

You didn't hear the b flat major? And yeah my bad i forgot I was playing  F# and C# Haha. Sorry.  Explains why the G#m7 works and sounds good (thats the chord I used at the end of the verse and in the chorus)

I am taking theory classes now but i was just hoping for some quick ideas on a bridge or pre-chorus, other transition chords etc to make the progression the best it can be. I'll continue with the theory lessons. 

Any suggestion on a transition chord to get back into the verse after the G#m7? Something that would lead well back to the f#m7? or a pre-chorus? Also a bridge? Knowing it's in f#m helps a lot I'll be able to mess around now with the chords to see what works but if you had any suggestions I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. 

As I listened to your recording, it was pretty obvious what the "1 - 5 - 4" progression probably was.  The first chord played sets the base, and the next two are "the dominant and then the subdominant" relative to it.

Much of chord-design actually has to do with "the sugar and spice."  That is, the "extra" notes that float above the 5th, always at odd numbers:  7th, 9th, 11th.  They're both bright and interesting, and some clever tunesmiths even manage to weave them together into a recognizable "top line."  Your composition certainly has a lot of very-delicious "spice!"

"Basement" chord progressions – those involving the 1st and the 5th and lesser the 3rd – are a little harder to work out, because they inherently suggest a "change of key."  (And, can be purposely used that way, whether or not you actually modulate.)

Now – if you are right now trying to find "a transition chord to get back to the verse," I would now suggest that you look at where your [u]tonic[/u] [u]note[/u] is going – "most likely, the one on the bottom."  Presumably you're somewhere (probably a fifth, maybe a fourth) above it right now, and you need to get back to home.  Look at that one single note.

Then, for a little bit of "foundation-level spice," maybe let your fifth and your third [i]follow[/i] that step, an eighth or a quarter-note behind.  Let each of the three find their own path.  Then, add "top-level spice" as you please.

• 1 month later...

Well... I'd tend to think it's in Fm... I=Fm, IV=Bb, V=Cm.

However, since I and V are in minor keys, why not VI as well?

When you throw in the Gm7, you are using chord II. Another chord to think about would be VI in this case Dm7.

I've found starting a chorus in Chord IV is often a great starting point, and really makes it stand out from the verse. 

As for the bridge... your song may not need one... your lyrics will determine that... is there a breakthrough, a realisation, a declaration etc that turns things around or sets an idea in motion? If not, a bridge isn't needed. If it is... just end it on chord V and launch back into the verse (chord IV).

Well, that's what I do anyway, but do what works for you.

Cheers,

Kel

Archived