Your Ad Could Be Here

Hey, I just read about how the verses should be connected to one another and how it should bring a sense of excitement to the listeners and I made this song a while back and after reading that I am not sure if the verses are connected or not. Please I would want your opinion on this. I have made few songs and also thought about releasing it someday properly but I am not sure anymore if its good or not so I really want a review. This is the song link: https://soundcloud.com/anaezia/round-and-round

Verse 1
My heart goes crazy when you come around
This type of cycles gonna bring me down
Been few months I'm tryna figure it out
Trying to stop it but i don't know how

Pre-chorus
Is it accidental? OR is it
Something special?
I want to pull you closer
and never let go

Chorus
You push all my buttons down
I want you to stick around
You make my head spin round and round
Your face is brighter than the sun
One look and baby I am gone

Verse 2
Your smile takes away my sanity
The way you smile makes me hard to breathe
Your whole existence is killing me
Even if it does I'd do it happily

Pre-chorus
Is it accidental? OR is it
Something special?
I want to pull you closer
and never let go

Chorus

Bridge
Kiss me slowly
You are the only one for me
Kiss me slowly
You push all my buttons

Chorus

Looks good.  Now, I do notice that every verse has a similar number of "beats" and always ends with a strong rhyme.  So, it's constantly in "release" but never really in "tension."

1 hour ago, MikeRobinson said:

Looks good.  Now, I do notice that every verse has a similar number of "beats" and always ends with a strong rhyme.  So, it's constantly in "release" but never really in "tension."

Hey thank you but Could you elaborate it a little bit about release and tension I didn't really quite get it.

Songs are often described as alternating between release and tension, stability and instability.  An even number of "beats" (accents) in a line is more stable than an odd number; a close rhyme is more stable than one where the words differ more, and so on. 

https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/what-is-tension-and-release-in-music/

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/2012/04/11/5-songwriting-ideas-that-create-tension-release/

In this case it might come down to, "just mix it up a bit." 

14 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Songs are often described as alternating between release and tension, stability and instability.  An even number of "beats" (accents) in a line is more stable than an odd number; a close rhyme is more stable than one where the words differ more, and so on. 

https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/what-is-tension-and-release-in-music/

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/2012/04/11/5-songwriting-ideas-that-create-tension-release/

In this case it might come down to, "just mix it up a bit." 

Thank you will do it. 😄

I do better with a listen.......words on screen/paper are just that to me, I've never seen the appeal of scrutinizing/agonizing over every word/syllable/etc...., when lets be honest, nobody but yourself, or a fan(that's going to like it anyway), or a critic(that is just going to find something to not like) is going to hear it close enough more than once anyway for it to really matter :)  and just my way of thinking........I know its not "common practice"

that's a really nice melody/rhythm that you could just read/sing the phonebook to and I'd enjoy it :) so yeah, keep/release/develop farther/whatever........thumbs up from me!  

On 9/16/2020 at 10:18 AM, Anaezia said:

Hey, I just read about how the verses should be connected to one another and how it should bring a sense of excitement to the listeners

be weary of anyone that tells you things should be done in anyway for any purpose, I mean if they knew what people wanted wouldn't everyone be selling multiple millions of albums? ;) 

What are you recording with? on?

I'm pretty versed at doing things on the super cheap as are a few others around here, can probably give you some tips/tricks if interested..... that will make people not believe you when you say was done on a phone/handheld recorder or whatever with free software in pretty minimal time if you want to develop anything further, to my ears that's a good demo, move on :) 

20 hours ago, Cody said:

I do better with a listen.......words on screen/paper are just that to me, I've never seen the appeal of scrutinizing/agonizing over every word/syllable/etc...., when lets be honest, nobody but yourself, or a fan(that's going to like it anyway), or a critic(that is just going to find something to not like) is going to hear it close enough more than once anyway for it to really matter :)  and just my way of thinking........I know its not "common practice"

that's a really nice melody/rhythm that you could just read/sing the phonebook to and I'd enjoy it :) so yeah, keep/release/develop farther/whatever........thumbs up from me!  

be weary of anyone that tells you things should be done in anyway for any purpose, I mean if they knew what people wanted wouldn't everyone be selling multiple millions of albums? ;) 

What are you recording with? on?

I'm pretty versed at doing things on the super cheap as are a few others around here, can probably give you some tips/tricks if interested..... that will make people not believe you when you say was done on a phone/handheld recorder or whatever with free software in pretty minimal time if you want to develop anything further, to my ears that's a good demo, move on :) 

be weary of anyone that tells you things should be done in anyway for any purpose, I mean if they knew what people wanted wouldn't everyone be selling multiple millions of albums? ;)  : True

I record on my laptop. Yes i would love new suggestions, always open to it. 

I'm mostly new with digital recording myself, but a lot of things are pretty similar, best advantage I've found digitally

and easiest trick for just a fuller sound is just duplicate tracks to your hearts content, you can always eq each one(highs/mids/lows whatever) put some on the Left channel some on the Right keep some center, it can make a huge difference and is fairly quickly done once you've done it a few times and can make even a really simple one take one pass recording sound pretty nice.......... is especially useful if you're tracking vocal/guitar separate, but that's not really not an issue(to me) I'll quit stressing that, because of course everything is opinion, but I'm also not trying to sell you anything, or even my philosophy on how to go about things.......it just seems like it's a trend that has gone away, stuff I was taught at a young age, a demo is a demo.......short for demonstration.......it's a place you see the song could go, but if you're dead set on making "studio quality ready for mass market selling home recordings give me my recording contract now" then by all means stop reading now :D 

If doing them same time same take that little trick can still be done, and will make a huge difference...........which to me it sounds like you're doing, and doing a great job with volume control, something I will always struggle with, I either scream or basically mumble, and I personally don't care enough about my vocals to ever work on it in a recording scenario......live performance is a different can of worms anyway..........and if you're doing this basically "live to hard-drive" you've got a knack for it already.  @Patchez using Linux OS and Audacity, all free, does one take one pass stuff, maybe overdubs another guitar/bass/vocal harmony/ whatever in later,  then works a little quick magic on it after recording with the L/R manipulations and maybe some time differences in each to give it a natural echo,  and does some pretty great sounding stuff, and usually willing to share his knowledge too depending on what mood you catch him in :D hahahahah

22 hours ago, Cody said:

I'm mostly new with digital recording myself, but a lot of things are pretty similar, best advantage I've found digitally

and easiest trick for just a fuller sound is just duplicate tracks to your hearts content, you can always eq each one(highs/mids/lows whatever) put some on the Left channel some on the Right keep some center, it can make a huge difference and is fairly quickly done once you've done it a few times and can make even a really simple one take one pass recording sound pretty nice.......... is especially useful if you're tracking vocal/guitar separate, but that's not really not an issue(to me) I'll quit stressing that, because of course everything is opinion, but I'm also not trying to sell you anything, or even my philosophy on how to go about things.......it just seems like it's a trend that has gone away, stuff I was taught at a young age, a demo is a demo.......short for demonstration.......it's a place you see the song could go, but if you're dead set on making "studio quality ready for mass market selling home recordings give me my recording contract now" then by all means stop reading now :D 

If doing them same time same take that little trick can still be done, and will make a huge difference...........which to me it sounds like you're doing, and doing a great job with volume control, something I will always struggle with, I either scream or basically mumble, and I personally don't care enough about my vocals to ever work on it in a recording scenario......live performance is a different can of worms anyway..........and if you're doing this basically "live to hard-drive" you've got a knack for it already.  @Patchez using Linux OS and Audacity, all free, does one take one pass stuff, maybe overdubs another guitar/bass/vocal harmony/ whatever in later,  then works a little quick magic on it after recording with the L/R manipulations and maybe some time differences in each to give it a natural echo,  and does some pretty great sounding stuff, and usually willing to share his knowledge too depending on what mood you catch him in :D hahahahah

So basically what i do is record in laptop guitar and vocals at the same time and then use audacity to compress and amplify and normalize and save it then upload it. That is the process I follow. I really don't know how to record guitar and vocals separately nor do I have the materials for it. Thank you so much I will try the technique you told me.  

2 hours ago, Patchez said:

That answer for me is, - if you think/thought they are, then they are. 

Ambiguity, or "mind pictures" as I call them, are for the listener to fill in. You're not singing a Christmas song in one verse and a National Anthem in the next. It's about a person you feel for, how and why. 

-- Why get specific?

Again, not being "cheeky". 

E.g., "hey baby, I love you, and..., you know why..." 

If I sing that to my Gold Fish, it makes sense. Get specific-specific ? and it may not.
"I tried to put a ring on it, but none sized for Flippers" -- fingers only. Just saying... kills the song. 

So it should tell a story and leave the feeling to the listeners? And I think every person has their own perspective in viewing the song?? It means different to everyone? I don't know what I am saying ughh. 

1 hour ago, Anaezia said:

So it should tell a story and leave the feeling to the listeners? And I think every person has their own perspective in viewing the song?? It means different to everyone? I don't know what I am saying ughh. 

Yup yup! you know what you're saying haha ...............🤔 or tell the feeling and leave the story to the listeners could always be intriguing. 

Yeah if using audacity and just a single mic for everything......just make multiple "tracks" of that same file, pan one all the way or partway fully Left channel, other right keep one center, or play around with variations of all.  EQ one bass heavy one no bass and just mash them together, that's the biggest advantage I've seen over digital recording........there's no degradation loss no matter how many times you tweak it............just always save that original :D 

17 hours ago, Cody said:

Yup yup! you know what you're saying haha ...............🤔 or tell the feeling and leave the story to the listeners could always be intriguing. 

Yeah if using audacity and just a single mic for everything......just make multiple "tracks" of that same file, pan one all the way or partway fully Left channel, other right keep one center, or play around with variations of all.  EQ one bass heavy one no bass and just mash them together, that's the biggest advantage I've seen over digital recording........there's no degradation loss no matter how many times you tweak it............just always save that original :D 

Okayy I will do that the next time. Thank you 

Yup yup! you know what you're saying haha ...............🤔 or tell the feeling and leave the story to the listeners could always be intriguing. : Hehe Just get crazy with creativity lol 😄😅

Several writers have said that "a song is storytelling, set to music."  While a three-minute song is usually too short to have a "plot," it does have a "setting," and then either a single "dramatic episode" or at least an "interesting comment."

The Devil Went Down to Georgia and Hotel California are complete stories.  Black Velvet describes a setting using a number of different lyrics which are bursting with individual-yet-different symbolism.  Stairway to Heaven loosely describes a fictional character while surprising you with a carefully-preplanned musical development.

And ... 🙄 ... "most of modern [commercial ...] 'Pop'" seems to still be stuck in 1980's sequencers and drum machines.  But, there is still hope.

19 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Several writers have said that "a song is storytelling, set to music."  While a three-minute song is usually too short to have a "plot," it does have a "setting," and then either a single "dramatic episode" or at least an "interesting comment."

The Devil Went Down to Georgia and Hotel California are complete stories.  Black Velvet describes a setting using a number of different lyrics which are bursting with individual-yet-different symbolism.  Stairway to Heaven loosely describes a fictional character while surprising you with a carefully-preplanned musical development.

And ... 🙄 ... "most of modern [commercial ...] 'Pop'" seems to still be stuck in 1980's sequencers and drum machines.  But, there is still hope.

Trueeeeeee. 

Archived