Your Ad Could Be Here

hello

m00n

hello, i just want to say hi really. i guess really all i do is write lyrics. i like writing them when i get the chance. i have never collaborated or even much discussed with anyone lyrics in general or music making in general or my lyrics in particular. i'm pleased to be here thanks.

• Like 1

Hi M00n,

Welcome to Songstuff. 

Yeah! Another lyric writer. Hope to see some of your lyrics on the critique boards. Helpful folks around.  We also have some great information on lyric writing in the library.

Have fun.

:)

Peggy

Hey, if you have any questions just ask.

Hey m00n, good to have you with us. Welcome to Songstuff!

There’s loads here for you to explore, including a range of critique forums. It’s good to get into the swing of giving critique. To be honest you often learn more as there is such a diversity of styles, plus you are using your skills without any emotional attachment or connection to the work you comment on. 

Everyone here was inexperienced with critique at some point, so don’t let that stop you. Honestly the more critique discussions you take part in, the faster you will improve as a writer.

Simple tips when reviewing:

• Be aware not everyone is experienced at getting critique so be considerate with language
  • Observe. Analyse. Make Suggestions. Be constructive. Discuss.
  • Be constructive doesn’t mean just say nice things, it means be helpful.
  • Explain.
  • Don’t beat people over the head with your opinion. If they don’t use your suggestion, it shouldn’t make any difference to you. It isn’t your song, and you do not own the vision for the song, you do not have to live with the consequences... so chill.
  • Try to understand their viewpoint, their aims etc. Understanding perspective aids critique, but  also aids our own writing.
  • It is just your opinion. Don’t cry if they don’t agree. Put your big boy pants on and suck it up. :)
  • Don’t make personal comments

When getting critique:

• If your song has lyrics, include them in your original post. It makes it easier for critiques to make comment on the words, but also has handy markers.
  • Critiquers are not invested in your work. Opinions might seem blunt but usually it just feels that way because you are emotionally invested in your work. They are not. It is not personal.
  • Take time to respond to everyone who listened and left a comment. After all, they took time to listen and comment.
  • Consider all opinions and suggestions. Take time to understand their perspective and reasoning... especially if you are discounting their suggestion.
  • Discuss suggestions. Critique is not a simple opinion. It is a discussion. Explore their thinking.
  • You make decisions about your song. If you disagree, don’t dismiss and devalue their opinion. Thank them and move on.
  • Few are experts. Even if they come over as thinking they are a God. Even if they are an expert, it is your song and their opinion.

That aside, have fun. Learn from each other. Talk. Listen.

That aside there are loads of features on the boards. Listen to the music created by members. There are some awesome writers and artists out there.

Enjoy yourself. There are some interesting and fun characters here.

Take care and I look forward to getting to know you and your music!

Cheers

John

hey btw i just thought id come here to ask, in the critique section of the writing songs forum, there's a link to 'rap and hip hop critique' but the link goes to a kind of blocked page, or maybe a dead one. i was just wondering if there is still a rap and hip hop critique page. thanks!

13 minutes ago, m00n said:

hey btw i just thought id come here to ask, in the critique section of the writing songs forum, there's a link to 'rap and hip hop critique' but the link goes to a kind of blocked page, or maybe a dead one. i was just wondering if there is still a rap and hip hop critique page. thanks!

Hmm, I'll check and get back with you. Link should be working.

• Like 1