Your Ad Could Be Here

Excited to join

regius

• Noob

My name is Reg, very excited to join this forum. I'm in my mid 30s, my music education started in the classical, took piano lessons at 8, but didn't continue but had enough to allow myself to explore my own capabilities. Continued to play classical off sheetmusic on and off until 13, then entered the Rock/Pop phase, discovered Elton John and whatever was playing on the radio. My addictive personality quickly saw me diving into every Elton John and related, collecting bootlegs and all. My father worked with a musician on a world music project so I was immersed in music although neither of my parents are musical. I started singing and took some lessons. 

During college, I suddenly had a eureka moment about theory and figured out chords, so that's the beginning of my playing songs by ear and by chords. I also discovered Philip Glass and played a lot of his music. I burned about 4-6 hours a day in the music room at college. 

A few years passed after college and settling in New York, stopped consistent practice, but two years ago I started dabbling New Orleans blues and took some formal theory lessons again. 

I guess music is always in my DNA so with the on and off, random influences, I could be at a level better than I dare to think, and I am now very eager to (continue) to write songs and find other musicians to formalize my songs (finding other instrumentalist to play together seems to be a tricky thing in the music world? :) )

• Like 3

• Noob

Thanks John, really appreciate it. At the moment, outside of my full time job and training for my next career (I design and sew leather jackets), I'm hovering over youtube and my piano/garageband to practice a little every night on theory and otherwise just mess around, also trying to push myself to write words. When it comes to song writing I feel I'm better off with words, so it instills meaning, which influences key and chord progression and melody. I often noodle around and go into an extended self-jam/improv, I try to record it on my phone to listen to later on to pick ideas from. These moments are very fleeting. I think having a lyrical partner, a drummer and/or guitarist would help with the discipline and not feel too isolated. 

• Like 3

Hi Regius,

Welcome to Songstuff!  Jump on in and share your piece.  

On 12/12/2020 at 8:56 PM, regius said:

When it comes to song writing I feel I'm better off with words, so it instills meaning, which influences key and chord progression and melody.

Yes, that's most often the way for me, the lyrics have their own way of creating the melody.  Looking forward to hearing what you create.

See you around the boards.

:)

Peggy

• Like 2

Welcome! 

On 12/12/2020 at 8:56 PM, regius said:

would help with the discipline and not feel too isolated. 

I can relate to that. I tend to just make noise by myself unless I'm actively creating and playing with others.  You play keys mostly you say?   I started there too, but bad influences/experiences too much to get into drove me away I have an aversion to them anymore(only when it comes to my own playing, I love hearing anyone else play)  

I also have an aversion to discipline in music :D (I think I know what you meant...practice and actual learning/slotting out times to actually sit and "work"  etc...)   but for me music is an escape and coping mechanism or I would of quit long ago, if its ever taken too seriously and becomes something that's not about the music itself I tune out.......pun intended.  

On 12/12/2020 at 3:49 PM, regius said:

(finding other instrumentalist to play together seems to be a tricky thing in the music world? :) )

You wouldn't think so huh? with so many who claim to play and be all about the music and just love to jam ;) 

wow I wrote a lot more than welcome! 

• Like 1