Your Ad Could Be Here

Light Across The Fields - New Song & Video

As I was given a wah pedal for Christmas it was only polite to give it a run out.

This is a song I wrote about my morning walks during lockdown, which were both therapeutic and inspirational.  The footage is from some of those walks.

Light Across The Fields video.

Hey

I enjoyed the track. A nice light-feeling song.

Video wise, Some nice shots. At times I was shouting “steady cam” at the screen. Other than that some sort of visual narrative, putting the shots in context, or a connection beyond light across the fields between the visuals and the lyrics would have helped. Perhaps a verse/Chorus approach to the video work? Even conceptually. So, for example, verses, tight, confined, close, narrow alleys etc, so the chorus visual of wide open expanse really hits...

I get that might not chime with your COVID walks, but it would make for an engaging video that goes beyond a trail diary.

That aside, I actually did enjoy it overall :)

Cheers

John

Great song.  The video wasn't bad.  I like the time-lapse parts zooming down the road.  I'd like to see the changes from time-lapse to stationary more synchronised with the music.  Some where, but often not.  And the stationary shots might be better with the camera on a tripod and not panning at all.  Alternating between stills and time-lapse could be more dramatic I think.

Thanks for watching.

You are both absolutely correct.  This is my first attempt at a video, and I had no storyboard or theme, just a bunch of video images from my phone.

I had the song and thought there was a thematic link, so stuck it all together.  I quite like it, but there are glaring problems on watching again after sleeping on it.

The good thing is I can see a lot of the issues and you have been very constructive in your criticisms, so thankyou very much.  It gives me food for thought for next time.

• 9 months later...

Hi.

Thanks for joining the music video club. Have you done any more since since this first one you posted?

Remembering that we are all biased by personal preferences:

• Shakey cam CAN work for many reasons. Stabilisation (if needed) is often available in-camera or in editing software.
  • Pans on the scenery can be dizzying if too fast.
  • The eye notices when speed and direction don't flow so, when joining two clips, take care with the content immediately before/after the cut.

It would have great to fake a 'light' in the sky for emotional impact in some of the scenes.

Nice music by the way. Did you note the slight resemblance to "Summer in the City" by The Lovin' Spoonful?