Your Ad Could Be Here

Hit songwriters ask pop stars to stop taking credit for songs they didn't write

• 1 month later...

Haha, that would be interesting. I think that it's gonna be impossible. Pop stars are who they are because of a reason, and the songwriters who try to change the company they work at, should have considered that before starting to work for that company.. Thanks for sharing this article John.

• 2 months later...

Simply it is theft by bullying. Who else in this world has 50% or more of their wage stolen for doing their work, "yes i will give you a job but you have to give me half your wage"?

Dolly Parton famously withdrew 'Always Love You' on the morning Elvis was going to record it after the Colonel tried to get her to sign the songwriting credits across. It has earnt well over $10M  for her and maybe would have earnt more if Elvis had in fact recorded it.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/whitney-houston/i-will-always-love-you

• Elvis Presley wanted to record this song but demanded half the publishing rights. Dolly Parton refused and was vindicated when years later Whitney Houston's version earned her $6 million. Parton commented to Observer Music Monthly April 2008: "'I think stories like that are the reason why younger female artists say I've influenced them."

Sure most people assume that the Singer is the songwriter, take Johnny Cash, one his most famous songs Fulsom Prison Blues was part original and the melody and most of the lyrics from another song writer, thankfully this was addressed after being sued.

Paul Simon was known to pay for the right to remove additional songwriters from the credits and Bruce Woodley (songwriter in the Seekers - he wrote this with a couple of others (one was Dobe Newton from the Buswackers) and I would take as our national anthem right now! - 

He famously spoke of Paul Simon on SPicks and Specks and how they split due to Paul demanding his name be removed.

I have gone into this world with eyes wide open and understand that one day I might write the song that others want and be put in the position of vulnerability and have to make decision, but why SHOULD I, if it is MY SONG??

They will want the song because they wish to make money from it, not because of my decidedly good looks or fact they think I a good bloke, no it will be for THEIR GAIN

As I started this, It is Theft by bullying.