Your Ad Could Be Here

Experiences with crowdfunding?

Whats the best crowdfunding site in your opinion to fund a recording project? I'm particularly curious if anybody here has had any luck with some of the lesser known crowdfunding sites (i.e. anything other than kickstarter, indiegogo, gofundme). 

@john

• Like 1

• Editors

Hiya Dylan,

I hope all is well. I do not have experience with using any of these platforms. There was a crowdfunding camapaign set up for a South East Asia tour that I did in 2019 and an Indian platform called Ketto was the choice made for the same.

Though I've heard that Kickstarter is more useful when it comes to art related projects. If I remember right though, it is an "all or nothing" format ie., if you do not reach your target goal, the money pledged would be returned back to the respective patron. IndieGoGo on the other hand doesn't have such a term (unless maybe you set it up that way?).

Anyways, I'm looking forward to others' thoughts on this as well :)

Have you progressed your crowd funding?

It’s not something I have done personally. I preferred the Patreon model of sponsored content provision but I think artists can do this fairly easily on their own. Working with a larger bulk sum of money smaller platforms have a trust issue coupled with a smaller user base. No matter which platform you go with you will need to invest time and effort into creating reward bundles and a thought out marketing campaign. Just asking for money on it’s own doesn’t get very far. Sadly most platforms don’t provide detailed stats on the percentage of active accounts that achieve their goals.

• Like 1

Hi Dylan,

I have a blog post that links to a discussion of crowdfunding entities. Of course, it includes the 3 you mentioned but others, too.  The author, Tom Anderson,  presents a pretty good breakdown of what is offered, the differences and the pros and cons.

• Like 1