Your Ad Could Be Here

Studio Cooling

Hey all

My studio is so hot it's pretty unusable. By the time I sit down I can already feel the sweat begining to run. It's so hot and humid that spending time in the studio is more of an endurance challenge than anything else. Making music is shelved in the short term.

Can anyone recommend a silent (or close to silent) fan? Ideally something pretty durable too.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

There are new area cooling fans that are more compact and quieter than the older designs of fans. Saw this article a fews days ago on Rollingstone's site.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/product-recommendations/lifestyle/best-cooling-fan-1018339/amp/

A few ideas…

Designing studio AC is a challenge. You want a decent heat exchanger and a design that builds in acoustic absorption without overly reducing airflow. Out of interest using low or no power temperature management as used in green home design can help.

Gear contributes a lot of heat, add to that hot gear means hard working fans equals noise. So, if you can, encase computers and vent them to the outside world. If you use long large diameter hoses and basic convention logic for input and output location you can extend equipment life by running at a lower temp and stop venting hot air into your Studio. Create a thermal chimney inside your computer encasement. It is possible to do the same with equipment racks.

Using a false ceiling to hide long winding tubing will help, with a floor level cold intake and ceiling mounted exhaust creating a thermal chimney. That means a heat exchanger in the ceiling coupled with an external unit on the roof.

Switch off incandescent lights. Use LED lighting.

• 8 months later...

Hi John

I'm a bit late to this Topic, but that's never stopped me before! :) 

I'm also done when it's too hot.  I certainly can't be creative or play guitar if I have moist hands or if sweat is dripping down my face or back.

Is your 'studio' some type of hermetically sealed and sound-proofed engineer's wet dream?

My 3 home-produced albums (54 tracks) were all done in an ordinary untreated spare room in our house.  No-one ... not even professional engineers and studio owners ... have faulted the recordings.  All tracks include acoustic guitar, and vocals were done without a booth. While the big window was kept shut while recording to avoid the worst of cockatoos, kookaburras and other screeching birds, as well lawn mowers, chainsaws etc.), the room door is always kept open, allowing good ventilation from the rest of the house. 

I avoid the 'studio' (no aircon) during the summer heat (most afternoons Nov-Feb) but, if required, I can take the laptop elsewhere, e.g. a room with aircon, and do MIDI instrumentation and mixing (or just admin). 

Greg

4 hours ago, GregB said:

I'm a bit late to this Topic, but that's never stopped me before! :) 

Like Greg B, my home studio is in what was formerly a bedroom and though not sound insulated noise has never been a problem unless my or my neighbors lawn maintenance people showed up.

Most, though not all, real studios I have been in had a separate engineers booth not one big room.  From your description it sounds like you have only one room.

Is it possible to move at least some of the heat producing equipment just outside the room?  Both Boston's first album and Led Zeppelin III were recorded in a home with the equipment outside in a van.

• Like 1