Your Ad Could Be Here

Too old to make music?

A word of caution: the following thread addresses a relatively sensitive topic. This might even be considered as "pushing the envelope" for some people. So in order to prevent any misunderstandings, if anybody here feels like this topic is too heavy for you to tackle, than by all means, please refrain from commenting here. Also, if this thread has somehow affected your state of mental well being, if this is too triggering, than I urge you to please contact the staff members and express your concerns, even to the point of asking them to remove this thread or get it blocked from open public view. I will completely understand and there will be no hard feelings. This is the nature of conversational topics, and there is a reason to why I am saying all of this. Topics such as these are closely related to many other subjects, so it is important to pin point only on this one singular aspect, in order to keep this discussion sharp and focused, and prevent it from going sideways.

So... without further a due, I would like to present you guys with a few questions. I will answer them as well, but at a later time since I have to go soon 😅

* Do you think that your too old to make music? (i,e becoming successful, opportunities no longer being relevant etc) *

* Do you think that there an "age limit" to success? *

* Do you feel like you were more creative when you were younger? *

* Are you pleased or displeased with the progress you have made over the years? *

* If you had the ability to go back in time, is there a point in your career that you would like to re-live? *

* Has your music changed over the years? *

* Has your fan base changed over the years? *

* Is there something you`d share about what its like to make music pass your 20`s? *

• Thanks 1

• Editors

What an insightful topic, my friend.

I agree with @Popthree. I think it will take me multiple posts to go through in order to reflect on what's being expressed here. And I appreciate the opportunity to throw ideas across & have a good conversation :)

Before I respond, I must say that I've not read the other questions yet. Thought it'd be good to tackle them with their own individual perspectives. :)

7 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Do you think that your too old to make music?

I don't think I'd ever be too old to make music. And yes. I'd throw in the "becoming successful, opportunities no longer being relevant" bit in there as well.

When it comes to relevance, I think if it is a piece of music that provokes someone's mind beyond their usual perception, it works. At a presumed worse, a beautiful clear reflection through sound & silence, regardless of genre about what you truly want to say or express will at least engage an audience of your own generation. Time is lovely that way. You grow old but you also see your world & reality grow old with you in many ways. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that. In fact, it offers itself to be a good thought to explore & express in a song.

Sure, the top slice of what is defined as "success" would likely be reserved for the youthful & expressive (define this word to your heart's content). But at the same time if you've engaged an audience that relate to you, they are likely to stay to find what happens in your movie, your story, whether fictional or non-fictional. Sure, it might not pay much and opportunities would not be as grand, but as long as I have an entreprenurial curiosity to find out how, I would find joy in the pursuit of it. I love teaching people how to sing. That's helped me figure another avenue to survive but also sustain my creative curiosity.

Besides all that, as long as there is this movie called life or reality that I'm seeing without my control, the ultimate expression as I would like to perceive it, I'm likely to find myself picking up the guitar or something to see if I can chase my expression of it.

But meh, who knows. :D these days, I feel that everyday is a world of its own.

I'll be back for the other questions later!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Do you think that your too old to make music? (i,e becoming successful, opportunities no longer being relevant etc) *

Hell no!

* Do you think that there an "age limit" to success? *

Pfft! Perhaps with certain types of success it can be harder, but there’s not necessarily limits.

Nah! I had more energy. I am just as creative in terms of ideas

* Are you pleased or displeased with the progress you have made over the years? *

Displeased, but that is due to life, not the music industry. The music industry is one where if the opportunity doesn’t exist, you can make the opportunity happen. Life, however, can have very different plans for you.

* If you had the ability to go back in time, is there a point in your career that you would like to re-live? *

Sure, my late teens to early twenties, but that is about my health, nothing else.

* Has your music changed over the years? *

Absolutely. Music is an exploration, an experiment, a journey in emotion, melody, rhythm and words. It wouldn’t be much of exploration, experiment or journey if it was unchanged.

* Has your fan base changed over the years? *

I lost touch with my fanbase over the years. I stopped releasing music while I dealt with what life was throwing at me. During that time I was focused on helping other writers and artists through Songstuff and my own personal connection. I never stopped writing, though my subject matter was always pretty serious. The good news for me is that I am back recording and planning to release some new music. I have no idea if my fanbase is still there or remotely interested in what I have been doing. We’ll soon see. Meanwhile I am completely prepared to start again. Life’s big adventure, eh?

* Is there something you`d share about what its like to make music pass your 20`s? *

I never stopped writing. It’s a learning experience. You start qualifying what you write more, judging it. As a teen I could write about anything. Then you start qualifying it. Not cheesy. Not predictable. It must be meaningful. The list gets longer and longer. That means more and more potential songs get ruled out before you even started writing them. I think this is a huge part of writer’s block. We stagnate in the quagmire of ruled out ideas. It takes a while to realise it’s not just what you talk about, it perspective. It’s not just perspective, it’s style. It’s not just style, it’s experience. For every aspect you can feel painting you into a corner of predictability, for every idea you feel repeated or formulaic, there is something new, fresh and unique that only you can bring to your songs. Don’t just keep hitting your head against the same brick wall. Step around it. Climb over it. Dig under it. Blow the wall up. Don’t stand still. Don’t consider yourself a failure. You only fail if you do not learn and try anew. Most of all, don’t give up.

• Like 1

• Editors
On 8/5/2021 at 3:50 PM, VoiceEx said:

I was more explorative for sure! The curiosity to experiment was a lot more amplified. If I were to put it another way, the willingness to sound bad & make mistakes for the expense of learning something completely new was more present in me then. As I have matured as a musician, songwriter & producer over the years, certain ideas & principles that have served me well on my way also inherently bring with them a direction to move in ; a way to approach something. Sure, that makes me more sensible as an expressionist but also brings with it a form of rigidity. I don't necessarily think it is a problem as much as I think it's a creative pursuit in itself to explore.

But yeah, I'm gonna totally do a cheesy pop album someday just for the heck of it. lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

One of Johnny Cash's most riveting songs was among his very last – Hurt, which he made in collaboration with Nine Inch Nails.  The video was amazing, and painful to watch.  But I think that it was one of the very best performances he had ever done.  (Video link above.)  He was totally and completely in the moment.

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can be literally too old for making music. Old age problems could prevent you from making music, but it would not be the age itself that stops you.

You could consider yourself to old to make music, but that would be childish.

• 2 weeks later...

As a classic  over thinker I try not to overthink aging. If I can take it with ease I'm sure it's possible with almost everyone else.

While I see my music as being important to me as something I like to do, I also recognize it's just a spoke in the wheel for me. I don't lean into it as a be all end all. I didn't when I was 25 either. Music and music creation has a place that I have become fond of coming to. I have learned to like it in the pocket it's in. Take it for what it is, and not quibble over the little stuff.

I believe it has been this outlook that has allowed me to keep the 'magic' if making music real and interesting into my later years. If anything I feel I'm beginning to come into my own more as a composer and a musician in later times. Before that I didn't know who I was or where I was as a person. I tried to jump into many molds that really were not a good fit.

I work with the 20 somethings, many are gifted and very competent musicians. I'm not really sure how they see me. I haven't asked. When you get older you can relate to the ages that you are better. So far as audience goes, it goes both ways. The older people don't want to listen to a 'kid' any more and the younger people don't want to hear grandpa.

One thing that doesn't lie though- Good music. 

I don't feel my mind is old. It still works pretty well, even the creative part of it. :)

• Like 1

• Do you think that your too old to make music? (i,e becoming successful, opportunities no longer being relevant etc) *

No, being hospitalized with Covid-19 for 28 days in 2020 did neurological damage so I have to work hard to maintain my dexterity. I would not feel comfortable playing studio sessions now but that is not age related.

• Do you think that there an "age limit" to success? *

This depends upon your definition of success.

• My first goal was not to work a day job. I have not held a day job in decades except for businesses I owned.
  • My current goal is to produce music I like. That is happening.

If your goal is stardom younger is better. The farther you are from the street life the less in touch you are with younger audiences.

• Do you feel like you were more creative when you were younger? *

No, I’m more creative and more knowledgeable than anytime in my past.

• Are you pleased or displeased with the progress you have made over the years? *

Pleased, I started out as a kid from a small town green as grass and have musical associations from LA, NYC, and Nashville.

• If you had the ability to go back in time, is there a point in your career that you would like to re-live? *

Probably not. It seemed like more fun when I was younger but I also did excessive amounts of substance abuse. So part of the fun was illusionary. I used to enjoy being on the road, that is no longer the case.

• Has your music changed over the years? *

I started playing R&B and the Blues, then Rock, then Country, now I am into genre busting. My biggest ambition currently would be to score a feature film.

• Has your fan base changed over the years? *

I’ve always primarily been a sideman so my fan base is small. Although I do have a small dedicated group of fans actually willing to invest money in projects.

• Is there something you`d share about what its like to make music pass your 20`s? *

The more you learn the more you will advance with age.  Always try to learn from people who are better than you are.

I learned A&R, how to choose players and material, from Stephen Metzler, Creative Director for Berry Gordy of Motown Records. I learned Record Production from John Boylan who brought the Eagles together originally as Linda Ronstadt’s band. He also coproduced the first Boston album with Tom Sholz in Sholz’s basement with the equipment outside in a van. You cannot put a price tag on these things.

Knowledge is power. Never, ever, give up on something you love. The world is a hard place regardless of what you do. Fortune favors the brave and the bold. Make your own rules, don't let others make your rules for you.

One other bit of advice. There is an old saying that your husband or wife will either make you or break you. I’ve found this to be true. I’m on my third marriage. The first two did not last long but Adrienne and I have been together for 20 years.

She is my biggest fan and the bedrock of my creative and emotional support. I feel honored to have her marry me as she has known many major music figures on her own. She was friends with David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and The Red Hot Chile Peppers. She has had associations with several other world class names. We had Los Lobos play at a private event of ours because of her not me. We paid them but she knew the people to get them there in the middle of one of their tours. Choose your friends wisely, your future may depend upon it.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson
  • Like 1