Your Ad Could Be Here

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

what software do you guys use for recording and editing music? Thanks

Edited by Ryan Larson

28 minutes ago, Ryan Larson said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

what software do you guys use for recording and editing music? Thanks

Ryan, the lounge is an ok place but I'm going to move your topic to our  Music Production and Recording board.

https://forums.songstuff.com/forum/136-music-production-and-recording/

I use Avid's ProTools with a perpetual license.  There are some other good DAWs but I started on ProTools and stayed with it.  It's really a great product.

Peggy

My main DAWs are Reaper and Bitwig, though I occasionally use Studio One, Renoise, Mulab, and Reason. For audio editing I use Sound Forge and Wavelab. I use each for different reasons, but they're all just tools. They all sum the same and will produce great results. It's all about workflow. Right now, I gravitate toward Bitwig because the modulation capabilities are insane. Same with audio editing. Wavelab is the best audio editor on the planet, but when I want quick easy edits I'll use Sound Forge.

I've been a very happy Cubase user since 2005. It was relatively easy to get the hang of. 

I have an assortment of handy VST plugins such as: 

Positive Grid BIAS amp (virtual guitar amps) 

IK Multimedia Amplitude 5  

(virtual guitar amps and effects) 

IK Multimedia plugins like 

Officially licensed Hammond B3X organ

Leslie 122 and 147 speakers

iZotope Ozone mastering software

There's a pinned thread in this forum that shows you the distribution as reported by members. 

I've been a Cubase user myself since the early 1990's when I owned an Atari ST.  I work primarily with MIDI and although I've tried many DAW's over the years (mostly as part of my previous job as a music technologist), I still find Cubase to be the most intuitive for the way I write and produce. I might not use it for audio only sources... though I might.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reaper! best 60 dollars spent! The community forum is one of the nicest forums ever. If you need help, they will help you. It took me 2 seconds upon opening Reaper and I was recording. Can't say the same for Cubase because it was a complete disaster. I asked for help and one guy tried to help me. Great person he was, as for the rest? Most said, "READ THE MANUAL" I read the manual over and over and it was frustrating and a disaster. I gave up! How much is Cubase? 

On 7/19/2023 at 6:19 PM, Kevin1 said:

Reaper! best 60 dollars spent! The community forum is one of the nicest forums ever. If you need help, they will help you. It took me 2 seconds upon opening Reaper and I was recording. Can't say the same for Cubase because it was a complete disaster. I asked for help and one guy tried to help me. Great person he was, as for the rest? Most said, "READ THE MANUAL" I read the manual over and over and it was frustrating and a disaster. I gave up! How much is Cubase? 

I used Cubase back in Atari ST days (a long time ago). It was a much simpler program back then. I've used Cubasis a few times. It was ok. Not very intuitive. I used Cakewalk for many years. The new version is available for free from Bandlab. It was always a powerful DAW with a load of features.

Now I use Studio One. Powerful but much more intuitive. It still has some frustrations but they've put in a lot of thought to work flows and contextual menus.