Your Ad Could Be Here

HELP ME PART 2!!!!

jameswales

ME AGAIN!!! AS I SAID IN MY LAST TOPIC

"I've been writing songs for a few years now, and have got together a bunch of tunes that I think are banging!! I don't know what to do next with them. I've got them all recorded as rough demos but have no ideas about copyright, publishing etc. I've performed many of them at gigs, but feel that that is as far as I can get them on my own. There isn't much market in the music industry for a fat guy from Yorkshire.

How do I go about copyrighting them and maybe getting some kind of publishing deal?

Are there any good websites anyone can direct me too?"

The songs that I write are basically pop/rock. I don't mean like Mcfly/Busted, although some do sound like them!!! I write ballads and upbeat rock/indie tunes.

Could anybody point me in the right direction of a good publishing company or something like that!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!! [smiley=drums.gif][smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=vocals.gif]

Hey

I thought I'd better mention that the members aren't ignoring you. It's a bit quieter than usual and I know several regulars are offline or working on their projects. Unlike most online communities Songstuff members spend a lot of time doing music! :)

The best members to probably advise you are Lazz or Didier, though Finn has just gone through setting up a label and publishing company, and he's release an album on itunes and in the shops.

I hope it's not too frustrating! It'll get back to normal soon.

Cheers

John

Hi James - it's a lot of hard work, I can tell ya. But great rewards in the end - although I haven't seen the money rewards yet, it's something special to sit and hold your own CD.

What do you want to do? Do you want to be a rock star or an accomplished songwriter? That's the first thing you need to sort out.

I financed everything myself, but I'm not completely on my own. I got in contact with a producer who was willing to put his time and studio aside for a presentage of the sales.I got in contact with him by having a demo I played for him.

So -- the first thing I think you should do is to brush up on that demo of yours, copy it up and send it off to some record companies who will receive unsolicited demo. It's not very likely you'll get signed right away, but when you call them a couple of weeks later they will hopefully have some input for you. Ask them what they think of your music and why they won't give it a chance. Be prepared to answer questions like "what do you want to tell the world" and "what does this track mean to you". Same goes for publishers.

Get in contact with people, be a nice guy they'll wan't to like, play them your music.

Your songs were copyrighted the moment you wrote them. If you want to secure that copyright, just put a CD in an envelope and post it to yourself. Then you have complete proof of copyright. Don't pay money for any internet company to secure it - that's a scam.

Hi James - it's a lot of hard work, I can tell ya. But great rewards in the end - although I haven't seen the money rewards yet, it's something special to sit and hold your own CD.

What do you want to do? Do you want to be a rock star or an accomplished songwriter? That's the first thing you need to sort out.

I financed everything myself, but I'm not completely on my own. I got in contact with a producer who was willing to put his time and studio aside for a presentage of the sales.I got in contact with him by having a demo I played for him.

So -- the first thing I think you should do is to brush up on that demo of yours, copy it up and send it off to some record companies who will receive unsolicited demo. It's not very likely you'll get signed right away, but when you call them a couple of weeks later they will hopefully have some input for you. Ask them what they think of your music and why they won't give it a chance. Be prepared to answer questions like "what do you want to tell the world" and "what does this track mean to you". Same goes for publishers.

Get in contact with people, be a nice guy they'll wan't to like, play them your music.

Your songs were copyrighted the moment you wrote them. If you want to secure that copyright, just put a CD in an envelope and post it to yourself. Then you have complete proof of copyright. Don't pay money for any internet company to secure it - that's a scam.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I'm a songwriter, I do enjoy performing, but songwriting is where my real passion lies!!

That website is class. The videos and music are really good. Thanks for that!!