Your Ad Could Be Here

New old songwriter

6 String

Hello from NH - Hi all - I'm Jody, retired and a 70+ finger-style guitar & blues harmonica player and songwriting dabbler. I write for about an hour every morning - slow but steady - for the enjoyment of writing and the challenge of trying to improve at the craft.  I've written about 15 songs, know some music theory, but am better with lyrics than music and melody. I don't play out so my songs don't get heard and my best skill is starting songs and not finishing them! :)  I'm here at SS to see what others are doing, contribute what I can, get my songs out there, find some musical collaboration for my lyrics and some feedback and inspiration for my own process. I'd welcome suggestions for any of that and for making the most out the SS community. Cheers!

• Like 3

Hi John - 

Well, many influences now that I think of it - Chet, Brooks Williams, Jorma, Stefan Grossman, Leo Kottke, Bruce Cockburn, Ed Gerhard, the Beatles, Duane Allman, David Surrette and I'm forgetting a bunch. I joined SS for some input on my lyric writing and expect I'll be posting more lyrics than music. I've spent all my music time playing guitar and blues harp and writing lyrics - and not learning much (anything) about recording myself. So I've never posted any recordings! It looks like that'll be a steep learning curve. Are there resources here on SS for that?

Thanks for being in touch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6 String said:

Hi John - 

Well, many influences now that I think of it - Chet, Brooks Williams, Jorma, Stefan Grossman, Leo Kottke, Bruce Cockburn, Ed Gerhard, the Beatles, Duane Allman, David Surrette and I'm forgetting a bunch. I joined SS for some input on my lyric writing and expect I'll be posting more lyrics than music. I've spent all my music time playing guitar and blues harp and writing lyrics - and not learning much (anything) about recording myself. So I've never posted any recordings! It looks like that'll be a steep learning curve. Are there resources here on SS for that?

Thanks for being in touch.

We have critique boards for lyrics, draft songs/1+1s, recording(+production), even cover song performance, video etc.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the critique process and I don’t want to assume anything. The boards are quiet just now but they are like that from time to time. Still, you will get critiques.

We recommend you perform some critiques too. Not only does it introduce you to the members, and greatly develop your own skills development, but in peer based critique there is some expected offering critique too. That aside critique is a discussion, not a simple review, so I encourage you to respond to everyone who critiques your work and seek to understand the basis of their observations, analysis and suggestions.

Please ask questions. Staff and members are helpful and we all share a love of music and at some point we have all been new here. Ok, when I was new here I was alone lol So my experience is a bit different from most!

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, 6 String said:

Well, many influences now that I think of it - ... Stefan Grossman .... 

Hi Jody

Wow - that was a real memory jogger. I've just turned 70 and had completely forgotten the TAB books by Stefan Grossman accompanied by a small flimsy performance record.  Spent months in my teens learning/perfecting those blues/bluegrass tunes.  Some became so ingrained I can still play them! :) 

So simple but such fun and always guaranteed to wow an audience (I haven't a clue what the tunes were called)!

Greg

Hi Greg B - 

I think my daughter has that record and tab book - since she absconded with all my vinyl. I can't place the tunes you're playing - but some were Oh Papa, Shake That Thing, Blues Ain't Dry, Nobody's Business, Yazoo Basin Boogie - to remember just a few. He's still around and teaching. Thanks for the tunes...

• Like 1