Your Ad Could Be Here

Awesome Guitarists and Awesome Guitar Performances

Hey Gang

I thought it was about time we had a thread for awesome guitarists and guitar performances…. So, um, this is it!

I thought I’d start with this:

Followed by a ted talk by the man himself…

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Man, I could do this all day.

Here is Andy Timmons doing a live version of Cry for You.

Every time I watch this, I cry. May be my favorite 8 minutes on YouTube. Emotional, powerful. Chops for days.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

Here is Andy James doing a playthrough of The Falcon God. Andy James is probably not known much outside guitar circles, but he is unbelievably proficient. And, um, heavy.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 2

Here is Gary Moore (RIP) with a live version of Still Got the Blues

• Like 1

Michael Hedges (RIP) - Aerial Boundaries Live

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

Animals as Leaders has two very gifted 8-string players. This is a track from their Anaheim show.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

Ani DiFranco - 32 Flavors

Al DiMeola - Broken Heart

• Like 1

I'm going to leave off with Allan Holdsworth (RIP).

• Like 2

Other favs: Tony Macalpine, Greg Howe, Mathias Ia Eklundh, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Matheny, Guthrie Govan

Edited by Steve Mueske

Country Boy - Albert Lee & Steve Morse

• Like 2

Sticking to acoustic for now…

Jon Gomm - Passionflower

• Like 2

Adrian Legg - Cajun Interlude

Erik Mongrain - Raindigger

• Like 2

Desert Rose - Eric Johnson, Austin's premier guitarist

Eric is the same age as Stevie Ray Vaughan. He played in his his professional recording band at 15 and was touring Europe when SRV was still playing Shakey's Pizza at Guadalupe and 19th in Austin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VoiceEx said:

@Steve Mueske who doesn't know Andy James?! :othat is guitar blasphemy, says I! 🤘 not knowing who he is, is almost as bad as not knowing who Jeff Loomis is! Its like.. imagine not being able to spot these guys...

Ha ha!, you and I know him. :) I'd bet money if you asked 100 people, though, 98 would give you a dull stare. Well, not real money. A facsimile of money. The idea of money.

Do Portnoy and Patrucci even speak to each other anymore? Last time I saw Dream Theater was before Jordan Rudess joined. God, 25 years ago or more.

Anyway, have you seen Tim Henson play? I can only take two or three songs at a time, but what he's doing is pretty cool and unique.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

Desert Rose - Eric Johnson, Austin's premier guitarist

Eric is the same age as Stevie Ray Vaughan. He played in his his professional recording band at 15 and was touring Europe when SRV was still playing Shakey's Pizza at Guadalupe and 19th in Austin.

I love Eric Johnson. There's a cool live version of Cliffs of Dover on YouTube as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Jeff Loomis - The Ultimatum playthrough. From the album "Plains of Oblivion" 😎🤘

Jeff Loomis is a god. I hear so much of Uli Jon Roth in his playing at times. Then again, I hear that a lot. He was way more influential than people give him credit for. Fifth Angel's original lead guitar, James Byrd, has some solo stuff that reminds me A LOT of Uli. His whole religious conversion thing makes me nutty, but that doesn't stop him from being a first rate guitar player.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

@VoiceEx Sorry, minor detour. Relevant because of Terry Syrek, another shredding god. Here's a video of my friend Greg Kalember laying down drum tracks for Syrek's Machine Elves. Greg played on several of my demos in the late 80s. One of the most brilliant drummers I've ever played with. He writes scores for PBS documentaries and teaches now. At some point I'm going to crowdsource funding for Greg K to mix my Pentachrist stuff and Greg Reierson to master and do like a limited edition white vinyl pressing or something. I know both of them very well (Greg Reierson has mastered over 10k albums, including Prince, and is one of the voting members for the Grammies). I can't afford either one of them on my own, but Greg Kalember and I go waaay back and Greg Reierson mastered my first limited edition EP. 

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Thanks 1

Greg Reierson was kind enough to participate in this interview I did with him in 2008. Lots of candid inside info about the dark art of mastering.

https://www.rareformmastering.com/mastering-interview

This Q & A was reprinted in a pro audio journal. As soon as I remember which one I'll add the link to it. 

Edit: the journal was ProSound, and I don't think they ever acknowledged that the article first appeared on Songstuff (which anyone can find by searching and looking at the dates).

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Thanks 1