Your Ad Could Be Here

2021 - How was it for you?

• Editors

As we wrap this year up, I wanted to ask you how the year has been for you in relation to your music & life goals? Regardless of where you are in the world, surely, the pandemic slowed things down significantly but was there any milestone that you had kept for yourself that was achieved? Or was there anything that unexpectedly came about that impacted you or your music? Did you take a break or did you decide to put your foot down on the gas? 

In my case, I took a break from playing gigs. Not that there were a lot of them happening around here but I made a conscious decision to step back from something that was once my primary source of income in order to focus on building another one - with my singing lessons. I spent a lot of time working on Rewire ( https://instagram.com/rewirethevoice ), an approach to singing that I've been working on for years so that it can become something of its own. Though I have lots more progress to make, I'm very glad that I could get it to a place where I can depend on it enough to be able to move out of my parents' house for the first time without being (too) intimidated about the additional costs and logistical resources it may require to make it happen. Moving in to my own place is probably the most significant event of this year (& decade) and I'm very excited to settle back into a productive routine and achieve the goals that I have set for myself in terms of my music career, beginning with the upcoming EP.  

What about you? 

• Like 2

2021 has been a hell of a year.

I almost died twice in February with COVID. In hospital the guys in the rooms either side of me both died. That was an eye opener. I’ve spent a lot of time and money reworking my home studio and started to record my music again, moving towards 2 planned EPs in 2022 along with some stand alone songs. I have also started drawing and painting again. Mainly portraits. I’ve been reworking Songstuff so I can take what’s in my head and turn it into something that helps Songstuff become self-sufficient at a minimum. We’ve been slowly building SSUK and the Independent Music Stage as future assets for independent music and specifically Songstuff members. Plus preparing the way for Red Circle 7 (RC7) as a media company incorporating label, publisher and PR activities. It will represent Songstuff staff and eventually offer services to Songstuff members.

Did I mention I had been busy?

2022 is full of promise. It’s taken a lot of time and effort to set up 2022 to be a slam dunk of a year.

• Like 1

2021 has been a mixture of good and bad events for me. I achieved a lifetime goal when my single, Sing got to number 1 on the UK Talk Radio station charts. My single, Ever Since the Day got to number 2. In These Times got to number 2.

Then I caught the Omicron variant of COVID. Luckily, my booster jab was done the day before symptoms started. I have made a full recovery.

• Like 2

Wow, this has been an insane time for me. Checked into the mental hospital for the first time in nine years, lost a job, got divorced, sold my house, moved 1200 miles away to a completely different (but gorgeous) part of the country, where I am ideologically different from almost everyone I know, started a new musical identity, finished buying stuff for my studio (which I have not fully integrated yet), applied for and got a loft which I will move into in two weeks, paid off my credit cards, and got a new job (working 48 hours a week salaried) at a much lower rate than I am used to. In the coming year, I will have just enough to cover monthly expenses, but I am fully equipped musically and am basically taking (extending) a leap of faith. Everyone always says do what makes you happy. I don't know what that means, exactly, but I do know I have always committed myself to art. I've taken care of most of the pragmatic details. I'm letting the universe decide what happens next.

I live 45 minutes away from the Blue Ridge Mountains. My loft has an 8th floor view of the foothills. It will be a small space, 562 sq ft, where I will eat, sleep, and create in the same space, which has been a dream of mine. I am really looking forward to the next year creating as both Müesk and Pentachrist (and in a virtual band with a long-time friend and someone I know only over the internet). I'm also well-aware I always have big eyes for what I want to accomplish. I hope I have cultivated enough spirituality, wisdom, and patience to accept my limitations, the vision and courage to expand my sound and capabilities, and the ability to forgive myself for inevitable shortcomings. I have aligned everything in my life toward this last creative push. That is the only thing I can thing of that approximates happiness. A big part of my life has become a practice of gratitude. Emails, messages, phone calls, lists. Gratitude is a very simple thing, but it is arguably the most vital thing I've learned.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 4

• Editors
On 12/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, john said:

I almost died twice in February with COVID. In hospital the guys in the rooms either side of me both died. That was an eye opener. I’ve spent a lot of time and money reworking my home studio and started to record my music again, moving towards 2 planned EPs in 2022 along with some stand alone songs. I have also started drawing and painting again. Mainly portraits. I’ve been reworking Songstuff so I can take what’s in my head and turn it into something that helps Songstuff become self-sufficient at a minimum. We’ve been slowly building SSUK and the Independent Music Stage as future assets for independent music and specifically Songstuff members. Plus preparing the way for Red Circle 7 (RC7) as a media company incorporating label, publisher and PR activities. It will represent Songstuff staff and eventually offer services to Songstuff members.

What a ride it has been this year, bud. Glad you & Karen came out of all the health risks that came about. I pray and wish for the best of health and peace of mind, as always! 

We sure have done a LOT of progress in the background regarding all things Songstuff (Songstuff.com, Songstuff.co.uk & Red Circle 7 Records/Media/Publishing). I cannot wait for all these things to start rolling out in 2022. After years of working with you and the crew, I'm so excited to be a part of this journey with you as an integral part. Thank you for all that you do for the musicians of the world! Can't wait to listen to all the stuff you've been working on bud. (Beyond some of the demos that I already have 😉)

• Like 1

• Editors
On 12/22/2021 at 4:10 AM, VoiceEx said:

The good news though, was that I was finally able to finish another album! it took alot of hard work and effort, which in turn, helped me achieve a multitude of milestones, and it has helped me to the realize that there is still much, much more I wish to accomplish with my passion project.

Congrats to you on this milestone @VoiceEx! Really looking forward to listening to all you've to share this year. 

On 12/22/2021 at 4:10 AM, VoiceEx said:

To be perfectly honest, over the years I often speculated that the sheer amount of time, effort and sacrifice I have put in, could only be attributed to some kind of actual madness.

I know the feeling. It is sometimes even ironic how even without much returns(yet), we pursue music for its own sake. The journey through the creative process itself is so enlightening and liberating with all the drama that goes on in the world (inside and out).

• Like 1

• Editors
On 12/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, Janice said:

2021 has been a mixture of good and bad events for me. I achieved a lifetime goal when my single, Sing got to number 1 on the UK Talk Radio station charts. My single, Ever Since the Day got to number 2. In These Times got to number 2.

Then I caught the Omicron variant of COVID. Luckily, my booster jab was done the day before symptoms started. I have made a full recovery.

Hello @Janice, that's wonderful to know about your success stories for the year. Congrats! Do share with us the links to your songs, would love to check it out! Apologies if you have already shared it elsewhere on the forum, shall be checking your earlier posts after this anyways!

Sorry to hear about your COVID woes. I hope you are healthy and well now, & the coming year stays that way! :)