Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar recommendation for small gigs

Hey everyone.

My band starting live performances in a small local club. We are playing 90's cover songs. Mostly Grunge. So, I want a new guitar but not too expensive. Something affordable and good sounding.

I have read this review of LTD EC256 - https://www.awkwardsound.com/esp-ltd-ec256fm-review/

In the past I had LTD guitar and it was good. Will this LP style LTD bea good choice for live performances?

• 2 months later...

You don't mention price but that appears to be £300-£400. I had a flatmate who built guitars and I was looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard for my gigging covers band. He told me they're made under license from Gibson, so it's the same wood, which is the important part. The bits and pieces, from pickups to machine heads, are good enough and you can always change them. He took a look and told me to buy it; I did and I've still got it 25 years later. You can pick them up second hand for £200-£300.

Try a Gordon Smith from the 90s built by John by hand. Can be had for that price. My second favourite is Hofner verythin re-issue. Stunning instrument, more studio 365 like.

Edited by Paul Hayworth

• 1 year later...
  • Noob

It's wonderful that your band ventured into live performances a year ago, especially with a focus on 90's grunge cover songs. Regarding your guitar choice, the LTD EC256 that you mentioned could still be a viable option, considering its LP style and reputation for delivering good sound at an affordable price.

• Like 1

If you do get that guitar, get the see-thru purple sunburst version of it.  I think it looks the coolest. :)  it may also be the least expensive of the colors available for it.    Double-plus!! ++  ;) ++

Edited by HoboSage

• Noob
On 8/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, dylandia said:

It's wonderful that your band ventured into live performances a year ago, especially with a focus on 90's grunge cover songs. Regarding your guitar choice, the LTD EC256 that you mentioned could still be a viable option, considering its LP style and reputation for delivering good sound at an affordable price.

Moreover, you can check out this resourse that can help you learn guitar chords. Continued practice and improvement in your guitar skills can undoubtedly enhance your band's performances, whether you stuck with the LTD EC256 or explored other options. If you have any updates or further questions about your guitar journey, feel free to share.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, powerchord said:

Hey everyone.

My band starting live performances in a small local club. We are playing 90's cover songs. Mostly Grunge. So, I want a new guitar but not too expensive. Something affordable and good sounding.

I have read this review of LTD EC256 - https://www.awkwardsound.com/esp-ltd-ec256fm-review/

In the past I had LTD guitar and it was good. Will this LP style LTD bea good choice for live performances?

Congratulations on your bands milestone. I wish you good luck on your gig.