Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Creation Cost vs Music Marketing & Promotion Cost

Music Spending  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend, on average, each year, on music marketing & promotion?

• Under $500
    • $501 - $1000
    • $1001 - $2000
    • $2001 - $3000
    • $3001 -$4000
    • More than $4000
  2. 2. How does your average, annual, spending on music creation compare with your average, annual, spending on music marketing & promotion?

• All my annual spending is on music creation.
    • I spend way more on music creation.
    • I spend more on music creation.
    • I spend about the same on music creation and music promotion.
    • I spend more on music marketing & promotion.
    • I spend way more on music marketing & promotion.
    • All my annual spending is on music marketing & promotion.

Hey

I thought about asking the question “How much do you spend, on average, each year, on music promotion?” But then I thought it might be more interesting to contrast your estimated annual music creation spend vs music promotion spend! Yeah, I know… I’m pretty sad lol

So, I’ve asked both questions in this poll :) Mwuahahaha!

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

Costs depend on when/season, what cities, what platforms, what genre, how many heads reach, how many sales per reach. Looking for cost and income stats to consult for a band, event or label, l I’d ask that, for practical purposes. 

43 minutes ago, David Hodgson said:

Costs depend on when/season, what cities, what platforms, what genre, how many heads reach, how many sales per reach. Looking for cost and income stats to consult for a band, event or label, l I’d ask that, for practical purposes. 

I wanted to highlight to indie artists the discrepancy in their budgets from an amateur approach to a pro approach. Keep in mind a lot of artists like the idea of transitioning from amateur to professional. Many things need to change, including dedicating time, effort and money towards promoting the thing they have so carefully and lovingly created.

From experience, most happily spend a lot of money creating their music, from instruments, amps, effects, to rehearsal costs, recording cost, mastering, but relatively they then spend nothing to promote their music.

Yes it is very rough approximation, but basic figures do help.

• Noob

Hi John, I understand what you’re saying and you are correct. I was describing when I’m doing a marketing budget for a band or gig, the bullet points I mentioned are what I use. For me it describes the individual discrepancies that make up the whole picture of how to break even and what to charge a promoter. That's why I would ask those questions.

• Like 1