Your Ad Could Be Here

These days

• Noob

Yeah, something I might have said in introduction but neglected is that over the past several years the general situation has stimulated me to write quite a few topical songs, which necessarily become somewhat political.  This introduces a consideration of the various motivations one may have for songsmithing.  Indeed there are many reasons to write songs, to make money, to make a personal statement, as an act of therapy, as a social practice, an expression of love, of joy, of sadness, of wit and wildness, all of which colour what kind of songs one ends up writing.  I don't want to give the impression that I only do topical songs, but I've been unable to not write a few, sometimes farcical, in the face of what I've been witnessing in the world.  Of course the problem for topicality is that the shelf life is short, and the answer is no longer blowing in the wind.  

• Like 2

Hi!

I moved this topic to the Songwriting discussion board as a better category for your topic :)

Cheers

John