Your Ad Could Be Here

Cover of Red Barchetta by Rush

I would like you thoughts on the vocals to this cover I did. 

The singer is an old friend and bandmate of mine. I think he has an amazing voice to cover Rush.

Background... he lives far away, so I went to visit him for a day to try and record a few songs for fun.

The drums and bass are just midi crap and sound like crap. I play the guitars and my friend sang.

This was done in a few hours, I mainly want to hear what you think of the vocals. I know the production is garbage lol.

Well here it is.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12057361

59 minutes ago, Steve Klatt said:

I would like you thoughts on the vocals to this cover I did. 

The singer is an old friend and bandmate of mine. I think he has an amazing voice to cover Rush.

Background... he lives far away, so I went to visit him for a day to try and record a few songs for fun.

The drums and bass are just midi crap and sound like crap. I play the guitars and my friend sang.

This was done in a few hours, I mainly want to hear what you think of the vocals. I know the production is garbage lol.

Well here it is.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12057361

Awesome. Does he sound similar doing originals? I ask because while a natural singing voice like that will do brilliantly as a tribute band singer, they can have real problems doing originals because they sound too like a known singer.

What vocal tuner are you using?

I've listened to a few of your songs now, and kept in mind your original complaint about your own voice. I think your own voice deserves more credit than you give it... but you have yet to learn how to mix and produce your voice effectively. Many singer/producers are in the same boat. The good news for you is that if you specifically work on learning about vocal production your songs will hugely benefit.

There's a few things mix wise that you could really work on too that this song does highlight. At points you really do get it right. At other points... less so. The energy of your drums is lacking and the clarity of your low end is also lacking. The vocals however are generally placed very well. Clear and cutting through.

That said I really enjoyed the listen. So much I listened 3 times! lol

• Like 1

Thanks my brother.. it means a lot

On 7/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, john said:

Awesome. Does he sound similar doing originals? I ask because while a natural singing voice like that will do brilliantly as a tribute band singer, they can have real problems doing originals because they sound too like a known singer.

What vocal tuner are you using?

I've listened to a few of your songs now, and kept in mind your original complaint about your own voice. I think your own voice deserves more credit than you give it... but you have yet to learn how to mix and produce your voice effectively. Many singer/producers are in the same boat. The good news for you is that if you specifically work on learning about vocal production your songs will hugely benefit.

There's a few things mix wise that you could really work on too that this song does highlight. At points you really do get it right. At other points... less so. The energy of your drums is lacking and the clarity of your low end is also lacking. The vocals however are generally placed very well. Clear and cutting through.

That said I really enjoyed the listen. So much I listened 3 times! lol

Here is an original song I wrote. I sing with my friend singing also... well I scream, he sings lol.

We use a little auto tune and some effects mixed in... I'm not very good with auto tune, so I had to use it sparingly... here's the song. It was written about my grandfather who passed away.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=11868506

On 7/28/2022 at 11:35 AM, john said:

The energy of your drums is lacking

LOL... Well, I doubt we'll ever see another Neil Peart...

Huge RUSH fan here! Yeah', your friend's got a great voice :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gtar Pkr said:

LOL... Well, I doubt we'll ever see another Neil Peart...

Huge RUSH fan here! Yeah', your friend's got a great voice :)

Well the energy in the drum is definitely lacking.. like the bass .. because they are cheap midi tracks... not even hitting all the right notes, let alone being real instruments. I mentioned that though. All good.

• Like 2