Jump to content

Your Ad Could Be Here

Cover of Red Barchetta by Rush


Recommended Posts

I would like you thoughts on the vocals to this cover I did. 

 The singer is an old friend and bandmate of mine. I think he has an amazing voice to cover Rush.

 

Background... he lives far away, so I went to visit him for a day to try and record a few songs for fun.

 The drums and bass are just midi crap and sound like crap. I play the guitars and my friend sang.

 This was done in a few hours, I mainly want to hear what you think of the vocals. I know the production is garbage lol.

Well here it is.

 

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12057361

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Steve Klatt said:

I would like you thoughts on the vocals to this cover I did. 

 The singer is an old friend and bandmate of mine. I think he has an amazing voice to cover Rush.

 

Background... he lives far away, so I went to visit him for a day to try and record a few songs for fun.

 The drums and bass are just midi crap and sound like crap. I play the guitars and my friend sang.

 This was done in a few hours, I mainly want to hear what you think of the vocals. I know the production is garbage lol.

Well here it is.

 

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=12057361

 

Awesome. Does he sound similar doing originals? I ask because while a natural singing voice like that will do brilliantly as a tribute band singer, they can have real problems doing originals because they sound too like a known singer.

 

What vocal tuner are you using?

 

I've listened to a few of your songs now, and kept in mind your original complaint about your own voice. I think your own voice deserves more credit than you give it... but you have yet to learn how to mix and produce your voice effectively. Many singer/producers are in the same boat. The good news for you is that if you specifically work on learning about vocal production your songs will hugely benefit.

 

There's a few things mix wise that you could really work on too that this song does highlight. At points you really do get it right. At other points... less so. The energy of your drums is lacking and the clarity of your low end is also lacking. The vocals however are generally placed very well. Clear and cutting through.

 

That said I really enjoyed the listen. So much I listened 3 times! lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks my brother.. it means a lot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, john said:

 

Awesome. Does he sound similar doing originals? I ask because while a natural singing voice like that will do brilliantly as a tribute band singer, they can have real problems doing originals because they sound too like a known singer.

 

What vocal tuner are you using?

 

I've listened to a few of your songs now, and kept in mind your original complaint about your own voice. I think your own voice deserves more credit than you give it... but you have yet to learn how to mix and produce your voice effectively. Many singer/producers are in the same boat. The good news for you is that if you specifically work on learning about vocal production your songs will hugely benefit.

 

There's a few things mix wise that you could really work on too that this song does highlight. At points you really do get it right. At other points... less so. The energy of your drums is lacking and the clarity of your low end is also lacking. The vocals however are generally placed very well. Clear and cutting through.

 

That said I really enjoyed the listen. So much I listened 3 times! lol

Here is an original song I wrote. I sing with my friend singing also... well I scream, he sings lol.

 We use a little auto tune and some effects mixed in... I'm not very good with auto tune, so I had to use it sparingly... here's the song. It was written about my grandfather who passed away.

 

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=11868506

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2022 at 11:35 AM, john said:

The energy of your drums is lacking

LOL... Well, I doubt we'll ever see another Neil Peart...

Huge RUSH fan here! Yeah', your friend's got a great voice :)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gtar Pkr said:

LOL... Well, I doubt we'll ever see another Neil Peart...

Huge RUSH fan here! Yeah', your friend's got a great voice :)

Well the energy in the drum is definitely lacking.. like the bass .. because they are cheap midi tracks... not even hitting all the right notes, let alone being real instruments. I mentioned that though. All good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Your Ad Could Be Here

Guests are always welcome...

but...

JOINING as a MEMBER (FREE) provides you with many benefits:

  • it is FREE
  • you will NOT be sent emails UNLESS you sign up for them
  • + you can interact with posts
  • you can create new Topics
  • you can directly message other members
  • you can seek critiques of your own work
  • you can offer critiques on the work of others
  • after a few posts you can post your own music and videos
  • have your songs/videos considered for Songstuff's official Playlists


  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $1,040
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By continuing to use our site you indicate acceptance of our Terms Of Service: Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy: Privacy Policy, our Community Guidelines: Guidelines and our use of Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.