Your Ad Could Be Here

Introduction

Hi there,

I'm Rich, originally from Bristol, England (first 31 years of my life), and have been living in Newfoundland, Canada for almost 23 years. When I moved here, I got a job at the university as a Concerts Manager, and several years in, switched over to full time tech, as the Music Technologist. I worked for the School of Music for 17 years, during which time I had many opportunities that someone of my meagre musical abilities would struggle to get anywhere else.  I've played in funk, rock, pop and jazz groups, and I have 13 album credits over the span of my time here, in multiple roles. I totally switched gears at the age of 49 to become the university's photographer, which is what I still do now. The switch was as much due to some hearing loss, 24/7 tinnitus and never getting a weekend to myself, as anything else. I completely gave up all musical ties and interests when I made that switch, returning briefly last year to create a solo five track instrumental EP for the RPM Challenge (not sure if that's a well known thing or not: basically, it's a world-wide movement, where you produce an album start to finish in the month of February). This year I re-built my in the box studio, dusted off my studio monitors and keyboard, and have been getting back into writing with most of my old Virtual Instruments and some shiny new ones.  I used to do some low budget local film composing, backing track arrangement and production and some other things to amuse myself. I love to write, and produce, and I'm here hoping I can collaborate with a lyricist who is honest, and enthusiastic, and interested in being part of the whole production. I'm not really sure how to define my musical style. I like acoustic ballads, some EDM, pop, rock and jazz.

• Like 3

Hey Rich

Nice intro. Welcome to Songstuff! It's good to have you with us.

It sounds like you have a broad range of influences. Tinnitus can be a blight. I have some at a fairly high frequency, but for me it is pretty manageable. I guess it depends on the cause and severity. So what are you looking to do with your music as you get back into it, or are you just enjoying exploring atm with no real intentions of anything other than a bit of fun?

Cheers

John

9 minutes ago, john said:

Hey Rich

Nice intro. Welcome to Songstuff! It's good to have you with us.

It sounds like you have a broad range of influences. Tinnitus can be a blight. I have some at a fairly high frequency, but for me it is pretty manageable. I guess it depends on the cause and severity. So what are you looking to do with your music as you get back into it, or are you just enjoying exploring atm with no real intentions of anything other than a bit of fun?

Cheers

John

Thanks John. I don't have any monetization plans for anything, I'm basically back at this to amuse, learn and enjoy the process.  I'm hoping to find someone(s) to collaborate with on something of mine initially, but also open to working on others material, and think that in spite of my slight hearing challenges, I can produce something that someone will be proud of. I have tons of VI's  that I've bought over the years, and would love to put them to really good use again. Not looking to make any money from anything, and hope there are likeminded individuals to collaborate with here. 

btw - I actually find tinnitus to be less annoying than some of the other issues I have with hearing.  None of them are really seriously detrimental to music production, but they are annoying and can affect my own perception of what sounds good. That's where I'm hoping others can help me with honest critique.  :)

Edited by Rich Blenkinsopp
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 5:29 AM, TheGarageJump said:

Hi Rich, 

Can we collaborate on a song before I welcome you to Songstuff? 😁

Just saw this now...sorry mate. 

Welcome. I have been on this site for just over 4 months. Interacted with a lot of decent people here....spirit of enthusiasm for the music. 

Chris

IT's all good Chris!  Thanks for the collab.  I posted in the original thread this morning with where the song is today (a bit further than since my e-mail yesterday).  My hearing is really messed up at the moment (more than usual!), so mix is probably really off, but the feel should be there.  

• Like 1