Your Ad Could Be Here

Wise words

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice. I think it very much depends on why you create and distribute art. What he says chimes with me, but I think there are many people creating and distributing art of various kinds for different reasons.

For example, there are many who start because of how the world sees them…. rather than having something to say. “To get girls”, “to be more interesting”, “to fit in” or “to be accepted”, “to explore”, “I wanted a new hobby”, “to be famous”, and “to be rich”. Also I would add that some do it to purely express themselves (needing to get something out), others do it to express themselves to other people (a need to communicate something to others). That last is not doing something for others, though it is often confused or mistakenly conflated with it.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Ricky Nelson said it Garden Party back in 1972.

But it's all right now
I learned my lesson well
You see, you can't please everyone
So you got to please yourself

Of course, The Bard said it way back when: "To thine own self, be true."

It took me awhile to get to this point as an "artist."   

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

• Editors

Such good pieces of advice to keep close! As artists, we do indeed tend to think our opinions are more important than others. Such a boon or a bane that could be based on how that interpretation is dealt with by an artist. Thank you for sharing this video!

But you know, "being an artist" only goes so far.  There's only so much "inspiration" that you can take from a millionaire who "made it" – from a person who doesn't even know that "David Bowie®" is a registered trademark.

I think that you have to decide for yourself who you want to sing to, why you want to sing it, and why should they care.  You should also strive to think about "what would be the highest-quality product to present to them," even if you realize that you don't yourself have everything that it takes to do that.