Your Ad Could Be Here

Plagiarizing

Do any of you guys worry about accidentally plagiarizing someone else's work?

I did it twice when working on my film composing diploma years ago... one of the pieces I was familiar with, and recognized it as soon as it was pointed out to me... the other, I don't recall ever hearing in my life before, and I did a bit of research into it at the time to try and figure out if I was ever exposed to it unknowingly. I couldn't come up with a reason why I would have.

But recently, I've started to find writing music to words much easier than I have ever in the past... it's like the melodies come to me automatically, and I worry its because I'm being highly influenced by something I've already heard. While I've had quite a lot of theory study in my life, I don't consider myself a good composer, and it concerns me that suddenly I'm able to come up with songs fairly easily (thank goodness I still find arranging difficult LOL).  

I wish there was an app where you could put your music in, and it would check it.  Like YouTube does for copyright infringement.  I've tried using SoundHound and one of its competitors (can't remember which one), and have never got a hit from any of my stuff, but that doesn't really mean much. If the tempo is more than a little different its not going to recognize it.  I would love something that deep analyzes.  I guess AI will do this at some point.  

Anyway, if anyone has any other tips on how to avoid it, I would love to hear about it. 

It’s one of several benefits of critique forums and any writer/artist/producer forums, and for that matter any other place where you can air your music to fellow artists but end listeners won’t hear it (step back Twitter). Ears listen and people point out things it reminds them of.

Your only other option with melodies is to wander around singing to yourself in the hope that if it has been accidentally lifted someone will say! Lol

• Like 1

The Google app for Android or iOS has Google Voice Assistant that you activate by clicking the microphone icon in the Google search window, or by simply saying "Hey Google."  After that, ask "What song is this?" or click on "search song" if that icon comes up.  Then hum or sing da-d-a-das (that's what I do) of the melody in question for 10-15 seconds.  After "listening," Google Voice Assistant will display known songs matching that melody.  It can be pretty useful.

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 3

Good idea David

• 3 weeks later...
  1. You can only compare your stuff to the songs you've heard and therefore take appropriate care NOT to have copied anything.  It's simply impossible to know the millions of tunes/lyrics out there ... so don't worry about it.  
  2. Remember that Paul McCartney was worried sick that he'd stolen "Yesterday", which came to him in a dream.
  3. FInally, unless you're a million-seller (i.e. you've made some serious dosh) why would anyone bother coming after you?

Greg

PS. If it's a simple song, these guys have already computer-generated every permutation of notes and note rhythms and store them on a disk (all that is required to 'prove' copyright). They did so to help anyone who is sued for plagiarism.

Article: https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2020/02/every-possible-melody-has-been-copyrighted-stored-on-a-single-hard-drive.html

TED-X talk: 

11 hours ago, GregB said:
  1. You can only compare your stuff to the songs you've heard and therefore take appropriate care NOT to have copied anything.  It's simply impossible to know the millions of tunes/lyrics out there ... so don't worry about it.  
  2. Remember that Paul McCartney was worried sick that he'd stolen "Yesterday", which came to him in a dream.
  3. FInally, unless you're a million-seller (i.e. you've made some serious dosh) why would anyone bother coming after you?

Greg

PS. If it's a simple song, these guys have already computer-generated every permutation of notes and note rhythms and store them on a disk (all that is required to 'prove' copyright). They did so to help anyone who is sued for plagiarism.

Article: https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2020/02/every-possible-melody-has-been-copyrighted-stored-on-a-single-hard-drive.html

TED-X talk: 

Intentionally plagiarising I wouldn’t condone, but I hardly think that would deter anyone. Maybe knowing most people hearing it might react that way might though.

They don’t need to come after you. They just raise a take down notice and your music disappears. If it happens 3 times pfft goes your YouTube channel. Google will stop hitting your site and listing it in search results.

They don’t need to win in court to take a shit in your pudding.

While I agree with GregB’s sentiment about not worrying too much, a few simple checks can avert obvious conflict. As for more obscure possibilities of plagiarism, similarity is not sufficient. It needs to also be reasonable that you heard the track in question. As for inadvertent plagiarism of reasonably well known songs, that’s some simple checks can help. Personally I don’t want to be accused of plagiarism. I would prefer to know, and if I agree it sounds similar I would take it down myself, because, even if accidental, I don’t want listeners to think I might have lifted it. If I could have heard it, I could have been influenced without realising it. Me, I’d rather know.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:39 AM, MisterB said:

Do any of you guys worry about accidentally plagiarizing someone else's work?

I did it twice when working on my film composing diploma years ago... one of the pieces I was familiar with, and recognized it as soon as it was pointed out to me... the other, I don't recall ever hearing in my life before, and I did a bit of research into it at the time to try and figure out if I was ever exposed to it unknowingly. I couldn't come up with a reason why I would have.

But recently, I've started to find writing music to words much easier than I have ever in the past... it's like the melodies come to me automatically, and I worry its because I'm being highly influenced by something I've already heard. While I've had quite a lot of theory study in my life, I don't consider myself a good composer, and it concerns me that suddenly I'm able to come up with songs fairly easily (thank goodness I still find arranging difficult LOL).  

I wish there was an app where you could put your music in, and it would check it.  Like YouTube does for copyright infringement.  I've tried using SoundHound and one of its competitors (can't remember which one), and have never got a hit from any of my stuff, but that doesn't really mean much. If the tempo is more than a little different its not going to recognize it.  I would love something that deep analyzes.  I guess AI will do this at some point.  

Anyway, if anyone has any other tips on how to avoid it, I would love to hear about it. 

Before uploading videos to tiktok, doa copyright scan. If your music passed, this will stop your videos from being muted.In the future, Google assistant is going to be capable of scanning music for copyrighted material.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 6:53 PM, HoboSage said:

The Google app for Android or iOS has Google Voice Assistant that you activate by clicking the microphone icon in the Google search window, or by simply saying "Hey Google."  After that, ask "What song is this?" or click on "search song" if that icon comes up.  Then hum or sing da-d-a-das (that's what I do) of the melody in question for 10-15 seconds.  After "listening," Google Voice Assistant will display known songs matching that melody.  It can be pretty useful.

Similarly, there's a web-based site, https://www.aha-music.com I used recently to find a couple of Cuban dance songs I have on my HD that I must've taken from a CD and not noted the titles or artists. It'll also work with humming or singing into a mic.