Your Ad Could Be Here

Songtrust- What is their value- why would anyone use them?

• Noob
I'm trying to understand the value of Songtrust. 
A few questions please.
If I have an account with BMI and MLC- why would I need songtrust?
If BMI and MLC are free services- why would I pay 15% admin fee to songtrust- between BMI and MLC- am I not covered?
Since spotify and other stream avenues pay me directly- is songtrust going to try and take 15% of that money as well when I do not need them to and I do not want them to?
Thank you
Shannon

If you have a publisher, they are responsible for making sure you're paid the money that you're entitled to.  If you are self-published you need to do that on your own.

Songtrust is a publishing administrator and yes, a lot of people use them. They work with your PRO and other global societies by registering your songs and collecting all your publishing royalties including performance, mechanical and micro-sync.

BMI collects performing rights royalties

The MLC collects digital mechanical royalties in the US.

Yes, Songtrust charges a fee for their services and a one time fee of $100.00.

Here's a pretty good read that may help.

https://aristake.com/what-is-soundexchange-ascap-bmi-pros-hfa-mechanicals-and-how-to-get-all-your-royalties/