Your Ad Could Be Here

To EP or not to EP..

• Editors

So.. releasing music can be tricky, especially when you're starting out but also in general. So I was wondering how you go about it - do you put out singles? An album? Or take the middle ground with an EP? Do you think there are any strategic advantages or drawbacks of crafting an EP versus taking other approaches when releasing your music? Obviously, there's compelling cases to be made on all sides. So I thought it would be nice to hear your own experiences or thoughts on factors like budgets, creative flexibility, etc

No set answer, just hoping to enable sharing perspectives so we can all make more informed decisions. :) 

Hey

A great topic, and something I think about a lot. A little bit of history and why I think change is on the cards.

There are virtues to different approaches and drawbacks. For example, albums. Less in demand for a while because of the way tracks are sold by online stores and how listening habits adapted due to artificial amplification of a particular voice within the listening public. That being that artists were ripping off the listening public by forcing them to buy an album that was 7 terrible tracks and 1 good song, with artists using crap songs as filler to justify higher prices. Coupling that with all album tracks being available individually and algorithm bias, there is a short term sales advantage to following a single release strategy right now.

BUT

There is always a “but”. That is where albums were being treated by the music industry as they were.

There is an artistic advantage to releasing collections of tracks. They allow artists to explore a seam of creativity. They allow artists to bundle their creativity and then move on, drawing a line under material to move on to a new style. That is harder to do under the constantly present in the public eye, single release model.

Think about all the greats. Albums tell a greater story too. Plus, singles tend to be easy to get into, but we tend to get sick of hearing them pretty quick too. Album tracks were often slow burners, to took more listens to get into but they often bit to a deeper level too. Some of the most popular tracks of all time were never released as singles, like Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven.

Some the biggest acts in the world were reliant upon the album format. From Pink Floyd to David Bowie to Madonna to Queen to Radiohead, albums have been integral to bigger splash, bigger budget releases. It stands to reason. If you leave a tap dripping, you tune out the drip. Eventually you just don’t notice it. Meanwhile am album is a big splash, an explosion of water. You notice those. They demand your attention.

Something that seems to be largely lost is single versions and album versions. Back in the day artists used to have the album version included in the album and a shorter, radio ready version available as a single. In the 1990s and 2000s labels had shifted away from considering artists as long term investments. Their short term greed saw them creating less massive artists with top selling catalogs and instead giving our shorter and shorter contracts down to the modern single song contract (with further song options). This, coupled with the streaming platform sales model, led to artists living to dying on a single song. This is not conducive to a good career for the artist.

So, while a serial single release plan can be appealing, it is not necessarily our best career choice, not necessarily our best creative choice.

In truth, I think we need to do both.

Even if you creatively make your music just for you… you still have an obligation to deliver value for your listeners. Forget that and they might just feel you are simply self indulgent and self serving and they will start deserting you. Keep valuing them, and delivering value to them and respecting your own craft, and the fans of your music will be more likely to remain and have your back.

It is a massive topic.

Cheers

John

No offense...

I think NO EP... cause I was creating songs at 3-5 minutes... then switched to 60 second songs and got triple the views!

(Edit: People's mind spans aren't like they used to be... they can't handle but so much now-a-days)

Edited by El Diablo Songwriter
  • Like 1

• Editors
On 12/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, john said:

It is a massive topic.

John, I agree with you that a mix of both singles and a larger record is where it is at :

1. The singles allow for easier consumption for the listener especially given our attention retention these days. It allows an easier entry for the art while creating further interest.

2. If that is tied with a solid EP/album plan, you allow the initial interest from the single to compound into a larger theme, story, persona etc. I believe this is what creates a more stronger and loyal fan base, even more so than the "passionate" fans the singles may create. Because more than the song or the piece of art itself, the listener would be more curious and open to what the artist represents oneself as, what they have to say etc.

• Editors
6 hours ago, El Diablo Songwriter said:

No offense...

I think NO EP... cause I was creating songs at 3-5 minutes... then switched to 60 second songs and got triple the views!

(Edit: People's mind spans aren't like they used to be... they can't handle but so much now-a-days)

None taken at all :) In fact, I agree with you in some sense. And during the pandemic, I started doing something called Tiny Tunes - short songs written, recorded and performed all in one sitting. I did it to soothe my mind during the lockdown situation. But it was interesting to see how my followers quickly caught on to it - more on Social media than on a platform like Youtube. I really need to get it back. Sigh it's been a while 

7 hours ago, El Diablo Songwriter said:

No offense...

None taken. People have different experiences and different goals. True, people’s attention spans aren’t what they used to be. Still, I would use 60 second songs (We call them Tiny Tunes) as quick tasters, to attract new listeners. They fit into a proper release strategy, but I wouldn’t make them my releases for Spotify etc.

As I type I see Mahesh has posted about Tiny Tunes lol.

7 hours ago, El Diablo Songwriter said:

No offense...

Tiny Tunes are great for discovery. Fans still binge on artists they like and will absolutely consume longer song formats. The age old axiom still holds true. Get attention, then use that attention. The YouTube algorithm will do a lot based on complete views, but it also understands when videos are very short. Ultimately they make money on advertising, and they place more ads the longer you watch. For the same royalty payment. Even when it comes to paid subscribers, it costs them more (potentially) to have to show 30 of your titles vs 8 of someone else’s.

The short attention span really is a discovery statistic. By that I mean people browse in a way that they give new content by unknowns very little time to impress. In fact, often only the title and thumbnail, never mind play time.

However, once they discover you, listening habits change greatly.

Additionally, you have to think about other platforms and how they respond. On music only platforms it is a big issue.

I get that maybe you have a very YouTube centric approach, and there is a lot of virtue in that. Still, look at the bigger YouTubers. They do a variety of formats, largely keeping most of their short format for shorts.