Your Ad Could Be Here

Line that is inspiring an idea

Last night, I was lying in bed, where all my best ideas come from (They don't), and a line just popped into my head. I had the motivation to write it down, and to be honest, it sounded way better at 2am.

Yeah, you're a bad influence,

It's like the devil made me do it

Is this any good? And is it a good line to write a song off of?

On 12/6/2023 at 3:06 PM, Smiley said:

Last night, I was lying in bed, where all my best ideas come from (They don't), and a line just popped into my head. I had the motivation to write it down, and to be honest, it sounded way better at 2am.

I think it largely depends on what it inspires in you.

Looking at the lines themselves they prompt questions. Who is the bad influence? Why are they a bad influence? What did they get you to do? What did the devil make you do? It must be bad!

So, what did it inspire in you?

• Editors

It is an interesting couple of lines! Allows for a quite a few directions like what John has pointed out here. The devil made me do it infers that you were misguided or tricked into. That allows for another layer of exploration on its own. Definitely colorful wordspace but to be explored further!

On 12/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, Smiley said:

A lot can be done with the  "bad influence" line when writing your lyrics. Bad influence is where many song ideas start. Build on the idea to  bring originality, good story telling, audience association, etc.

The "devil made me" is a very used, maybe even over-used, wording for the telling why some action was taken.  The phrase can be used as heart-felt and serious and it can be used in comedic way.  Because it's so common, it lacks any real punch, emotion or drama ..(whatever it is you want it to evoke).  Maybe using the concept of "the devil made  me"  by making the association to the who, what, when, where' why and how of the bad influence, without explicitly using the phrase.  @Mahesh mentioned some.. your deception, lies, tricks.. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 2:55 PM, john said:

So, what did it inspire in you?

My mother inspired it for me. She's a selfish manipulator, always antagonizing anyone I had positive emotions toward. This included my dad, my friends, and even my current partner. When I was younger, I believed her, but now, almost all of my prior relationships from when my mother and I were close are irreparable.

12 minutes ago, Smiley said:

My mother inspired it for me. She's a selfish manipulator, always antagonizing anyone I had positive emotions toward. This included my dad, my friends, and even my current partner. When I was younger, I believed her, but now, almost all of my prior relationships from when my mother and I were close are irreparable.

That is sad to hear. It sounds like she was the cause of a lot of anguish, but what (songwriting/artist-wise) did she inspire in you, in your music, etc?

28 minutes ago, john said:

That is sad to hear. It sounds like she was the cause of a lot of anguish, but what (songwriting/artist-wise) did she inspire in you, in your music, etc?

I wanted to make a song that could relate to others without pulling any punches towards her, like a 'this is how you messed me up, f-you' type of thing. I want it to flow without it sounding 'nice'. I want it to feel raw.

Edited by Smiley