Your Ad Could Be Here

Should all music be free?

IMG_7269.webp

Hi

With society's pressure eternally pushing music to be cheaper or free, I thought I'd ask a few related questions. I'd love to hear your opinions.

When should music be free?

When should music be paid for?

Should there be such a thing as a "Professional Musician"?

Do you still pay for music?

Do you, or would you, sell your music?

What do you think would be a fair price to stream a song?

What do you think would be a fair price to download a song to keep your copy?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Some of my opinions on these matters are a bit controversial. As such, for the sake of keeping things nice and simple, I will only address specific questions, starting with the biggest one: "Should all music be free?".

The short answer is: Not all of it. However, I also think the idea itself (giving music for free) largely depends on your situation and on how much you rely on selling the music itself as a singular source of income. For example, if the music itself is your only source of income, or if you cannot afford to give your music for free (due to the costs), then, I'd say no. Don't do it.

That being said, if you already have a loyal fan base that supports you, and if you have a dedicated audience that is more or less aware of your circumstances - and if selling the music itself is NOT your only source of income - then I don't see a problem with giving away some of your music for free. In other words: If you can afford to do it and if you go about it tactfully, then I see no harm in it.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, john said:

Do you still pay for music?

I do 👍

On 12/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, john said:

Do you, or would you, sell your music?

As a soon to be retired freelance composer, I am no stranger when it comes to profiting from making music and selling music. However, I do not sell/share/promote/market the finished versions of the music I make for myself, at this point in time. That being said, I'm not 'against' the idea of selling my music, as long as selling my music does not conflict with my moral values as a person and as a content creator.

To put that in perspective, the majority of my content is free and I actively fight to keep it that way. I want my audience to be happy and to feel like they are getting the most out of the experience. And if that means that I won't "maximize profits", then so be it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Music is a business. It takes money to produce those recordings, to manufacture those CDs (maybe), and to do everything else that is associated with the process. And, "this money has to come from somewhere." If this were not so, the only music you'd get to listen to was that of your "crazy uncle," whacking away on his guitar.

• Like 1