Your Ad Could Be Here

The Silly Thread

Well? There's plenty of silly out there. What do you see as silly?

• Like 1

No silly I guess. That just leaves me.

Hey what happened to all of our old posters like Akazia? She doesn't even show up on the members list. And I scrapped with a few of the others on a free for all thread. I don't see them around either.

My hunch with akazia is she found too much interest and pulled away. I can't say as I blamed her really, and making music with others online can potentially be very time consuming. Her music really drew me in but I tried not to bug her. I might have weirded her out too. I reached out to her on SC to touch bases, but no response and I guess i don't expect one really.

I never made music with anyone else here that I can remember. I think some of them actually hated me. One of those guys is still on my Facebook page and I harbor no ill will towards anyone.

It seems to me we are into a new run of members. A younger crowd, which is fine. It seems the marketing of the web page is looking for that age group, once again just making an observation. The site doesn't seem as active as it once was, but those who are here are a tight nit group. 

I think we need some jovial sometimes. Not all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 2:36 PM, starise said:

Hey what happened to all of our old posters like Akazia? She doesn't even show up on the members list.

I remember her and she does indeed show up on the members list. Here 👍 I've also briefly looked into some of her back and forth communications with you, particularly in an old song of hers that's called "My Father", where you asked if she'd like to work with you. If you are not able to see any of these links then I suspect you might have been blocked. I can't help you with that, I'm afraid.

I guess I just didn’t look in the right places. Thanks. 
I managed to get to her page but decided I’m not gonna bother her. I know she is quite busy from what I hear.

Thanks for looking it up. 

No problem I'm glad I could help 👍 I never spoke with her but she seems nice. Though in the spirit of silliness, while I was skimming through her content, it made wonder why this place is such a sausage fest nowadays 😅

• Like 1

Sausage fest? Is that something German?

• Haha 1

No no its not German. Its slang. It means: an event or a place at which most of the people present are men, or a group that consists mainly of men (i.e 'Sausage' as in penis). A "dicks only club", if you will. We don't have many females, is what I'm saying 😅👍

Edited by VoiceEx

Gotcha.

Well ok please tell me this site isn't this dead. Wow. 

I mean, we can't even be silly?

I think that's just silly.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:28 PM, VoiceEx said:

No no its not German. Its slang. It means: an event or a place at which most of the people present are men, or a group that consists mainly of men (i.e 'Sausage' as in penis). A "dicks only club", if you will. We don't have many females, is what I'm saying 😅👍

I kinda knew that but I was trying to keep it clean. Why can't you keep women here? For the record I keep it clean and respectful to all, so women by all means the carpet is rolled for you too. You can trust me at least. Not sure about the rest ;) I'm a happily married man, so no hitting from me.

Oh please be silly. :)

It’s a too serious story for a silly thread, but I’ll post the short form lol. The site is indeed much quieter right now, but it won’t stay that way. We know exactly why it is quiet and exactly what to do to fix it. Some may have heard it many times, but much has changed behind the scenes… the staff and I could be better at communicating our progress.

I posted an update here:

Songstuff 2024

I can explain some of the reasons the site is quieter, but some I would prefer to keep to PM if you are interested.

On Achazia, and a number of other members, I think she is far less musically active full stop. Time passes. New interests etc.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, starise said:

I mean, we can't even be silly? I think that's just silly.

I'm always up for silly things 👍 Is there something silly that you'd like to share?

On 2/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, starise said:

I kinda knew that but I was trying to keep it clean. Why can't you keep women here? For the record I keep it clean and respectful to all, so women by all means the carpet is rolled for you too. You can trust me at least. Not sure about the rest ;) I'm a happily married man, so no hitting from me.

Oh it was merely a playful observation about how most of our active members appear to be men. Which is absolutely fine but its also a bit funny IMO. After all, this is a thread for silly things, is it not? 😏 Besides. Even if hypothetically you did hit on members, that would be a you-problem 😅👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VoiceEx said:

I'm always up for silly things 👍 Is there something silly that you'd like to share?

Don't get me started ;)

1342363822_AirandSpaceMuseum.thumb.jpg.2aec79f6685544f17acac33bc9a9bc0f.jpg

• Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.e9095617dee39b51d824c400ce920259.jpeg

image.png.884af05b40001aaa0a903b6ead4235cd.png

Music-when-I-grow-up-musician.jpg

IMG_2344.jpeg

IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

IMG_6341.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not too big on memes n' such. However, @starise what you said about keeping things clean got me thinking about a silly thought experiment. And since you haven't specified any restrictions on what constitutes as 'silly', I can only assume that a silly discussion may also be on the table 👍

But before I get into it, please allow me to give you some context.

You see, I have often theorized what it would happen if Songstuff would host an IRL social event, like a meetup or party. I wonder what it might be like, who would attend, who'd get along with who, which personalities are likely to clash, what sort of interesting stories/scandals might be unearthed (etc), and how people's agenda would affect their overall interactions with each other.

Basically, imagine an oldschool industry mixer but exclusively for Songstuff members. That's the general idea. Anyhoo, In the spirit of the thread, I've got a silly question for you 😅 (Obviously, you don't have to answer if you don't want too. I'll understand).

If such an event took place, would you attend? And if you would, are there any particular members you'd like to hang with?

@john

Those were great. I harvested them to send to a musician friend. I have some I'll post up later. If you have more of these I'm game.

@VoiceEx

I can tell you're a deeper thinker. Interesting question(s).

There were a few here who didn't care for me because we got into a back and forth, but with me that's kind an expectation I have that not everyone agrees with everything. Who knows? In person we may have hit it off wonderfully.

A word that tends to get used a lot "agenda".

I don't have one. I'm just me and you're just you. If the event was close I would probably attend it. One online site had a zoom meeting on another site I frequent. It was my idea. Most either chickened out or could not fit into a time zone that worked which is the difficulty with having a web site that invites people from all over the world in different zones, and as one of the mods on that other place I can see people droopping in from all over the world. I imagine John has seen it all. 

Everyone is both like you in some way or ways, and different in others. I place equal value on all. I tend to fit a negative stereotype I don't really typify, so I think it's probably best to get to know me aside from that. I won't even say what that stereotype is, but most know what it is. WE are all individuals with gifts in different areas. Pluses and minuses are in us all. 

If you wanted to get into the psychology of some of this, people mostly put their best foot forward. It's human nature. So in meeting people initially we see that best side, or what they percieve to be the best side. Me? I'll put dumb videos of me playing a bouzouki or show a lot more of myself online than many will. I guess it's because I just don't care any more, so long as it isn't rude to anyone else. I never intend that ever.

Anything silly?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:18 AM, john said:

Oh please be silly. :)

It’s a too serious story for a silly thread, but I’ll post the short form lol. The site is indeed much quieter right now, but it won’t stay that way. We know exactly why it is quiet and exactly what to do to fix it. Some may have heard it many times, but much has changed behind the scenes… the staff and I could be better at communicating our progress.

I posted an update here:

Songstuff 2024

I can explain some of the reasons the site is quieter, but some I would prefer to keep to PM if you are interested.

On Achazia, and a number of other members, I think she is far less musically active full stop. Time passes. New interests etc.

I think it's vital to have visions and goals. If something doesn't work, there's nothing saying you can't try something else.

Yeah shoot me that PM. :)Now you have me curious. I think I know though already. 

It's a shame we all get older over time and sometimes things change that crowd out other interests. I also have some thoughts but I think they are best for PM, and even then I need to be careful or I'll be misunderstood.

None of that was silly.

I'll have to work on that. :)

Edited by starise
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, starise said:

@VoiceEx

I can tell you're a deeper thinker. Interesting question(s).

Why thank you. I appreciate the compliment! :)

There were a few here who didn't care for me because we got into a back and forth, but with me that's kind an expectation I have that not everyone agrees with everything. Who knows? In person we may have hit it off wonderfully.

Well if a person is not interested in critique they could simply apply to post in the showcase. Might save them the trouble, no? Or if they are indeed looking for critique, they could specify what sort of feedback they are looking for exactly. That way if they see a response that is irrelevant or even offensive they could call it out 👍

That being said, I must say I am rather curious as to what happened. With your permission, would you be willing to fill me in? (perhaps via PM, if you'd prefer). I find that old drama makes for a fun conversation, if nothing else 😅

A word that tends to get used a lot "agenda".

I don't have one. I'm just me and you're just you. If the event was close I would probably attend it. One online site had a zoom meeting on another site I frequent. It was my idea. Most either chickened out or could not fit into a time zone that worked which is the difficulty with having a web site that invites people from all over the world in different zones, and as one of the mods on that other place I can see people droopping in from all over the world. I imagine John has seen it all. 

From my limited experience in forums I find that most people that look up forums tend to do so for a reason. As such, it would be fair to say that they want something. Could be critique, sharing for the sake of sharing, business opportunities, promotion, education (etc etc), or even simply as fans wanting to interact with musicians. I could come up with more reasons, but you get the idea.

I don't know what other communities you frequent, though I think its great that you took the initiative and encouraged people to step outside their comfort zone. It would be nice if we had something like that in here. Also. Much like you, if Songstuff would host an event I would indeed try to attend, if given the opportunity.

Though whether or not I would get invited in the first place remains to be seen, I suppose 😅👍

Everyone is both like you in some way or ways, and different in others. I place equal value on all. I tend to fit a negative stereotype I don't really typify, so I think it's probably best to get to know me aside from that. I won't even say what that stereotype is, but most know what it is. WE are all individuals with gifts in different areas. Pluses and minuses are in us all. 

You've been labeled as a negative stereotype? 😮 I had no idea but man it sounds like you're days here are far more interesting then mine 😅 That being said, if this is the case, I'd like to offer you an interesting perspective in regards to giving feedback.

I don't give feedback to people who I believe are too sensitive to handle it. How can I tell which is which? Its easy: Look into their interactions. People that can't handle criticism wave that red flag loudly and proudly. As such, instead of asking yourself: "But what if I could help them?", its better to move on and focus your energy on the people who are NOT just looking for praise.

If you wanted to get into the psychology of some of this, people mostly put their best foot forward. It's human nature. So in meeting people initially we see that best side, or what they percieve to be the best side. Me? I'll put dumb videos of me playing a bouzouki or show a lot more of myself online than many will. I guess it's because I just don't care any more, so long as it isn't rude to anyone else. I never intend that ever.

That's very true. People do try to put their best foot forward. Its also good for business. Though to tell you the truth, personally, when it comes to getting to know people, I have no interest in someone that constantly attempts to project an image of success and control. That's their way of attempting keep people at arm's length and its kinda sad if you think about it 😅

9 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Well if a person is not interested in critique they could simply apply to post in the showcase. Might save them the trouble, no? Or if they are indeed looking for critique, they could specify what sort of feedback they are looking for exactly. That way if they see a response that is irrelevant or even offensive they could call it out 👍

That being said, I must say I am rather curious as to what happened. With your permission, would you be willing to fill me in? (perhaps via PM, if you'd prefer). I find that old drama makes for a fun conversation, if nothing else 😅

John was gracious enough to have an anything goes thread which I liked. All of that ended in name calling. I don't remember calling any names. I have better learned how to handle those things since then, so I handle those things differently. Most forums don't allow name calling. My skin has grown much thicker since then. I would laugh those guys off now.

Musicians are typically a liberal bunch and I knew that going in, basically anything goes but I think everyone has a limit to that especially if it steps on someone else. The outcome of those discussions was probably expected. I have no idea what happened to all of those guys. One is on my FB but maybe he blocked me. For the record I don't argue or enjoy arguing, so it wasn't really fun to go there any more and John closed it down. The other one who referred to himself as a walking gut bag, not sure.

There are two reasons anyone goes to a critique area and at one time I didn't know what I liked so I was open to letting someone else  suggest things. I still am to some extent, but I don't feel I need approval. I could nit any of the top ten hits and find errors. I think there's a page somewhere that has all of the little mistakes hits had in them. AC/DC  made some drasitc tempo changes which would not fly today. Most of the time when I upload something I hear all of the stupid things in it. I just made changes recently and I'm not finished yet to a few of my recent ones. That's really what works best for me. Just listening to it and trying to decide if what I heard was bad enough to warrant correction. Since mixing is a bit of an art there are lots of ways to mix an given song in addition to the artistic music decisions. Chances are if I released something in one mix at midnight I will be very sorry the next day, but it's a snap shot of where I was then and shows room for improvement.

My music is in between showcase and critique so I don't post a lot here lately. I was honored to interview two of the most famous mixing engineers on the planet and have autographed books from both of them. MIke Senior and Bob Katz inventor of the K system. I have read everything in those books and was glued to SOS for years, plus lots of trial and error. I know there's always something new to learn so I'm not saying I am above that, but neither am I by any means an amateur.

9 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

From my limited experience in forums I find that most people that look up forums tend to do so for a reason. As such, it would be fair to say that they want something. Could be critique, sharing for the sake of sharing, business opportunities, promotion, education (etc etc), or even simply as fans wanting to interact with musicians. I could come up with more reasons, but you get the idea.

I don't know what other communities you frequent, though I think its great that you took the initiative and encouraged people to step outside their comfort zone. It would be nice if we had something like that in here. Also. Much like you, if Songstuff would host an event I would indeed try to attend, if given the opportunity.

Though whether or not I would get invited in the first place remains to be seen, I suppose 😅👍

Well it's nice to meet you here! I would probably not be on forums as much if I were not working a computer job that has frequent times of intermission in waiting for programs to load etc. A forum is a great way to draw in persons we assume have similar or the same interests. I had something like 30,000 posts on the cakewalk forum when bandlab bought them. That's the DAW I cut my teeth on.When the site changed I lost my post count.  I'm still there but not as much since I adopted Ableton as my main DAW, and unfortunately Ableton has a terrible forum area IMHO. Maybe similar to Cubase. Like the girl you knew lived down the street you never gave much thought to, and then later got a crush on her, that's how Ableton grew on me. At first I didn't get the concept. Now I won't work in much of anything else. Cubase has lots of capability and I was using it successfully as well, but then I figured Ableton out.

I always maybe falsely assumed forums were more about community. I mean really I don't come here for anything other than discussion and sometimes I'll put a track up. I don't need anything here.

I suspect most music gear is now sold to  hobbyists. Same with a forum. A subset of members might be interested in courses. I like a basic forum. I just want to go where I want to go. I don't need anything flashy or necessarily "different". 

What is a successful forum? 

Young people ( that's me too) well sort of ;)  They need a vision.They think they can do it, they just need the tools and those willing to show them. We can't be selling them wind. There is a reality about all of this. If a person likes making music none of those things will really matter. They can be guided, but ultimately it's up to them.

10 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

You've been labeled as a negative stereotype? 😮 I had no idea but man it sounds like you're days here are far more interesting then mine 😅 That being said, if this is the case, I'd like to offer you an interesting perspective in regards to giving feedback.

I don't give feedback to people who I believe are too sensitive to handle it. How can I tell which is which? Its easy: Look into their interactions. People that can't handle criticism wave that red flag loudly and proudly. As such, instead of asking yourself: "But what if I could help them?", its better to move on and focus your energy on the people who are NOT just looking for praise.

Sounds about right to me :)  I would not say  a person who doesn't want criticism is weak in some way. If they come here though and post in the songs area they are likely looking for other opinions. It was at one time a habit to come here and post my songs.

10 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

That's very true. People do try to put their best foot forward. Its also good for business. Though to tell you the truth, personally, when it comes to getting to know people, I have no interest in someone that constantly attempts to project an image of success and control. That's their way of attempting keep people at arm's length and its kinda sad if you think about it 😅

I can't sell anything. Probaby because I have no desire to do so. 

Success and control- Money and power?  Look what that does to most people.