Your Ad Could Be Here

Do you sometimes lose the ability/habit of listening to music?

• Editors

I fear that I do. I remember when I was much younger how I was spending way more hours just randomly listening to all kinds of music or the music I love. It just doesn't happen the same way anymore. Sure, when a favourite artist of mine releases a record, I spend many hours on repeat for weeks and months and let myself believe I've rediscovered that simple joy of having a listening habit.

The more this professional career of being a musician has taken over, there's just been so many things going on that you just don't get the same time, mind space or energy anymore. I have been trying to address this fear or concern of mine by creating curated playlists for different activities or moods. But yeah, looking to hear your thoughts. How often do you listen to music these days? How about compared to before? More or less? 

• Like 4

Definitely. It always feels like the rest of the world just imposes itself on me so I somehow don't have room in my life for music. Like, I've just eaten a huge meal so I feel stuffed, and as far from hungry as you can get. I can't think of food. Then I feel out of sorts. Something isn't right. Then, I rediscover the joy of music again, I immerse myself in it, and I can't get enough!

I never seem to stop making music though I have busier times than others. Truth is, I never stop creating, only the media changes.

Relating. I've often thought learning to play an instrument is like learning a magic trick: suddenly it's all a trick and there's no such thing as magic anymore. It can't be coincidence that I listen to more music not in the general mainstream rock area I've created in, possibly because I can't tell how it's made as easily as mainstream rock. I've produced many rock bands but I couldn't make a kpop song. I've wondered if one of the appeals of listening to new pop is it helps me regress to childhood before I lost the magic.

I actually watch more than just listen these days, which could be because I have a YouTube channel but no Spotify account. I've also got friends who've said they hardly listen to music anymore, which I've thought could be because they're old enough not to need it to self-identify anymore, which is something we do.

Edited by Glammerocity

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to less music than I used to, as my ability to multi-task continue to diminish.  I used to listen to music all the time while I did my job, and that's easier than ever now that I work from home, but I find that when I listen to music, I can no longer concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing, so I don't do it any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. In fact, there are a million things I'd like to do, but can't afford too, due to my working schedule and other responsibilities.

That being said, while its true that I can't afford to listen to music all day, thankfully, me being a musician has never killed the 'magic' for me. Which is why I always make time to listen to music just for fun and its why I still geek out (production wise) when I think something is super cool.

Call me crazy, but I'm on the fence that enjoying something for the sake of enjoying it, helps to keep you fresh. Both on a personal level but also on a professional level. And while its true that re-creating that childhood 'spark' is impossible - I don't think that it should stop artists from taking full advantage of what will always be there.

TLDR:

I think that if listening to music for fun is important to you, then the only person standing in your way, is yourself. For example: After a long day's work, I really enjoy taking nightly/early morning strolls while listening to music.

True, its just an hour or two per-day. However, it is a daily 'dose' that ultimately stacks up (mentally). It gives me a chance to check out new music, revisit old music, or even just listen to audio books and lectures, without ever feeling like having fun is somehow a "waste of my time" 👍

Edited by VoiceEx