Your Ad Could Be Here

+ Hoping

Hey all~

3 nights ago I said out loud "I need a guitar I can play." I thought it was me at first, but now know the Ibenez is ____, tho grateful for anything at this point.

Husband encouraged me to visit Pete (the green guitar pick guy). He was just beginning a lesson but quickly tuned 1/2 a dozen acoustics and set them out for me to try. "Note what you like about each, and at this point don't worry about color and etc;. Leave this list with me and we'll set up a time where we can go over all the possibilities based on what you like."

Well, the one I like is 3 times the amt I have. (Tho I did ask Pete if it was going to stay in tune). So I'm thinking how I can get extra work to buy that axe (if I still like it in days to come). This is the hardest part about being a Mom. Lord-a-mercy, if I had two stupid weeks, ten business days free during the day to work, I'd probably have enough for a new bass, too. It's such a STUPID problem! The $ is so close! It's possible to attempt enlisting short term (gratis) help...one day so-and-so comes over multiplied by 2 weeks. I also need to find temproary work.

When I played it, I found myself thinking, "I could get good enough on this to walk into an open stage situation...I could gig, even one song." Can't imagine anything getting me better as regards singing/playing/writing than a gig - even one song.

So...after playing just enough these past years so that I haven't regressed (much), I think I have loved guitar for a long time, but didn't realize it til I played that guitar in Pete's store.

And it seems like doors are closing for others to help...Terri, it looks like, cannot play on the song. (That means, once I accept I'll have to do the guitar parts myself, someone will show up, right?) The mere thought of playing a song solo I could never seriously entertain, as well.

What's happening? Who am I - musically, I mean? Things is changing, or I'm maybe being added to.

Edited by Donna

Rudi, thanks for asking.

It's a red Cort, with a pick-up. The body is kinda big. I'd never heard of the name. Pete has one.

Set up a time w/ him to check out stuff again...and he said, to plug 'em all in so I can hear the difference in pick-ups. And try it out standing, all that stuff. He wants to see if there's something comparable (lower price) I'd be happy with.

I'd said doors seemed to be closing for people to help, but I meant they're closing as far as doing recording how I used to, where I'd write the song, show up, play (maybe) one instrumental line and sing.

In many ways, there are more folks than ever helping out - Songstuff heads the list! I'd never seriously looked into mixing prior to. And Pete, I know he wants to help me out.

It's just a little unnerving, now I've had some time to catch my breath since I began Songstuff, and see that things seem to be opening up and nudging me toward doing stuff in my own right, other than writing/singing/drumming.

But I'm sure I'll be properly thankful and excited shortly :)

(woo-hoo, I'm gonna get a new axe! It may take awhile, but it'll happen!)

Edited by Donna

Donna

This is the best bit of buying a new guitar. The trying them all out, the anticipation - I know as I finally took the plunge in March after several months looking.

I've heard of Cort, they are meant to be good but you don't see too many over here. Be sure to be happy with the sound unplugged before you try it plugged in. I nearly bought a Takamine on account of its lush amplified tone - but pulled back when I realised that I play unplugged most of the time and like that it sounded like someone tapping cardboard!

Exciting stuff Donna, my Friend has had a Cort for years. Nice guitar, Al's right, make sure it sounds good unplugged, pick ups can be changed. You can even buy an acoustic and insert a pick up in it.

John Nightwolf, good to know the pick up can be inserted. It's nice to hear your friend has one as well. This man, Pete, is a high test classical guitarist. I was surprised and kinda confirmed I was on the right track cause he has the same exact Cort, which I didn't know til after I'd played it.

(Long Freakout on Pete: He said it'll be fun to go over all this stuff - and I knew he meant just that! I wanto bring Husband too so he can freak out on Pete as well. Those two'd get on.

(I've never met such a store owner, can't think of one who truly strives w/ determination but laid back excitement to get ppl hooked up with what they want and need. I'm so lucky to have found such a musician to bouce stuff off of, cause that's been the bulk of the exchanges, not me buying stuff. Ya apologize (kinda) for the state of your axe or case and he says, "that's good - it means it's being used." You tell him your playing is done on your doorstep and he says, "I am SO glad to hear that." You realize this guy, this heavy musician wishes he could walk down a street to hear (even) fumbling chords on the doorstep.

(It's a second generation family store. I heard him giving the lesson while trying the guitars and actually quieted down...after the brass player gave a lame reading of the exercise, Pete asks him, "what is it about this song that makes you play like that?" Pause. "Is it boredom?" Pause (maybe because a crazy womaine was in the foyer playing guitar and hearing him, a beginner!) But he asked a couple more questions which went right into my soul as it were, I deja voo-ed as if I was a kid again, knowing I wasn't doing what I ought to come lesson time. I wish someone woulda nicely nailed me like that to get it out in the open and not kept secret even from me, why I didn't put my heart into whatever thing. I have never known a teacher to do that, though there must be others. Seemed like a lot could be accomplished that way. Freakout done).

Yeah boys, I'm already in love - with it's acoustic unplugged sound. Never played an acoustic plugged in, I don't think.

OK Al, I'll just enjoy the ride!

Edited by Donna

• 2 months later...

Hey~

Long story how it came about, but I got to play guitars with someone. He's one of Pete's students, which I found out after we'd chance met.

Anyway, he has the same Cort I'd wanted and I got to play his plugged in, as he said (and I heard it for myself compared to my borrowed Ibanez) that it's not much sound unless plugged in.

So...I'm rethinking things now. Does anyone know, is there always going to be compromise with an acoustic electric? That the electric is going to sound thin etc; when not plugged in?

What's most important to me...trying to figure it out. Well, it's very important that when I pick thhe axe up to play, that I don't want to go running for an amp.

OTOH, I like the thought of getting effects and all - should I be playing out, which I plan to do.

BTW, I found some other things out tonight: Could def play out w/ another guitarist in the mix - I'm sure 2 or 3 songs could be worked up in a short time. Which is really nice to know. Sometimes I have no ability to judge what is coming out of me.

Two, it really helped me following the bits he brought in. Three, he was catching on quick. Four, I'm more steady than I'd thought as a rythym player. Five, as always, the music got too loud and I could've blown my throat out.

Next time we'll jam at his house where I can completely check out the effects and all w/ his Cort/amp.

Any suggestions or thoughts on acoustic vs acoustic/electric guitars?

It doesnt really matter too much. I bought an electric guitar at 16 and wanted to be an electric player. Almost immediately, I met lots of acoustic fingerstyle players. I picked up on that and eventually got an acoustic.

For about 10 years I played the acoustic almost exclusively. It was harder work! The acoustic guitar (most are anyway) is physically harder to play and much more difficult technically (Im talking about fingerpicked classical, ragtime, blues, folk etc).

At this stage of my life I hardly touch the acoustic. When I got it out of the case 5 years ago It had a nasty split along the back (lack of use and lack of care). I have not had it repaired because it sort of repaired itself, the split is once again invisible and the sound is lush and beautiful. The electric is now what I play (almost exclusively) and enjoy soloing more than anything in the world.

I know everyone said to make sure that you are happy with the unplugged sound. I will not take issue with that, but I practice at home with the solid body electric with no amp at all. Have done for years.

The only advice I would give is make sure you are happy with the overall sound. Some guitars sound stunning beautiful if gently played but lose their character when played aggressively. Others respond to hard aggressive playing. Make sure you pick the guitar that suits both your ear & your touch.

• 1 month later...

Photo needed! :)

Congrats on the new geetar :)

• 1 month later...