Your Ad Could Be Here

Software Sampler recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You know, I never  even heard of that one! Too much time running Songstuff, not enough doing music!

Any ida how much it costs?

Thanks Marc! I forgot that I had posted this one!

Cheers

John

You can get more info at that site:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?kontakt_us

The advantage of that sampler is that it load ALL formats: Giga, EXS, Soundfont, Halion, Akai (maybe more format I don't know of). It has onboard effects, sound editor, and mapper (you can easily create your own multisample instrument), beat slicer, and lots more. It's very easy to use. I think it's well worth the price: 450 US$. It also comes with a bundle of instrument samples.

It's the one I use, and I don't know what I would do without it! I've tried other soft samplers, but none beat its features and ease of use.

• 1 year later...

in the october issue of computer music (spanish edition) they do a review of Kontakt 2 (487€),

they say it has a convoluting reverb included, huge library of great useful sounds, it reads every format, has surround sound support and fx chain presets.

as alternatives to kontakt they name 2:

Steinberg HALion 3 (399€), it has waldorf filters and a very simple UI.

Tascam GigaStudio 3 orchestra (299€) a standard for movie soundtrack composers, but it only works as independent app.

• 4 years later...

hey

A sampler plays back and controls samples.

A sample is a clip of audio. These can be very small, or larger loops. So I can record a single instrument hit, for example a snare, that is a sample of that snare. If I record a 4 bar drum pattern that is a primitive loop, but is in essence a sample. Sometimes entire musical sections are recorded and played back as loops, particularly in modern electronica styles, hip hop etc.

You then build or buy sample libraries (loads of samples) to be used with your sampler.

There is much more to this in terms of how a particular set of samples loads onto your particular sampler. There are several types. Some libraries are based on hardware such as akai or emu or roland (specific models like the ESi 32), others on kontakt or vienna sound font banks.

Cheers

John