Your Ad Could Be Here

Song Title Association Game

Songstuff

Great story Rob.  Never had a chance to see Zep.  Wish I had.  There definately is something different about the entire experience of seeing shows today v. when I was a kid,  Part of the fun used to be camping out for tickets.  I remember as a kid camping out for days so I could be near the front of the line when Springsteen tickets went on sale.  Half the fun was meeting and partying with the folks in line.  Something about camping out overnight and spending $25 bucks on a ticket vs. trying to get online at Live Nation when tickets go on sale and spending $150, made the whole experience all that much sweeter back then.  All that being said, the event itself (meaning the actual concert) is still the same for me.  There is nothing like the electricity of a live show, especially when it is one of your musical idols on stage.

Anyway ... back to the present ...

96 Tears/Question Mark & The Mysterians ...

49 minutes ago, RobAsh15 said:

"In the Evening" was the first U.S. single from "In Through The Out Door" released in September, 1979, Rudi. That's the album that Zep was touring to support when Bonham died, in May of 1980, during rehearsals between the European and American legs of that tour.

"In Through The Out Door" was Zep's last studio album. If I had to guess, I say that you probably know all this, my brother. I mention it here only to provide context.

I had tickets to a show on September 25, 1980, in Nashville Tenn., at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium. Bonham was at Jimmy Page's house rehearsing for that U.S. tour, when he collapsed following a long night of rehearsals and never woke up. In Clarksville, Tenn. where I grew up, we held a wake that lasted 4 days.

I'd bought those tickets 4 months in advance, during the summer, when our local rock stations were playing cuts form the album and hawking the concert. I was 18 years old that year. I drove a 1972 Olds Cutlass 442, wore a black leather bombardier's jacket with lots of chain and zippers, was the frontman in a pretty good local hard rock band, and thought I stood about 10 feet tall most days.

When I was a teenager, going to a rock concert was an event. Going to a Zeppelin concert was a happening. If we found out they were playing anywhere within 200 miles of Nashville, I and my friends all had tickets. I remember that we were all already talking about the damage to Plant's pipes... but it didn't matter much, really. Afterall, it was Led Zeppelin were talking about.... Led - f*ing - Zeppelin.

Plant and Page could have played in wheelchairs and we'd have still thought them all gods.

Hey, thanks for that Rob.

That's an important connection. Most importantly it is now shared.

Maybe we could try to find ways to add these personalised accounts when we post here.

I missed seeing Zeppelin, and a bunch of others of course. So its good to hear about your link to that period/song/event.

Likewise to Moz's Boss thing above too.

Edited by Rudi

This album is one of the first albums I ever owned. Won it playing darts at my second grade carnival and picked it solely for the cool artwork. 

ABBA's greatest hits was another one I picked. Both have influenced me in a lot of ways. To this day when someone says it's hot, I still say "burning up the charts."

Bootsy Collins - Jam Fan (Hot)