Your Ad Could Be Here

Have You Started Your Own Label Or Publisher?

john

Hey

The title says it all. Well almost!

If you have started your own label or set yourself up as a publisher (or both!), tell us your story! How did you go about it? What prompted you to set it up? What pitfalls should be avoided? etc etc. :)

Cheers

John

As many of you know, I set up a label to release my first album Serendipity. I knew beforehand that running a label takes a lot of effort and money, but it was a question of releasing the album on my own or not at all.

There was a lot of work setting everything up - getting distribution and a PR agent, EAN codes, ISRC registrations and all that.

Thankfully I'm good with design myself and my wife is a photographer, so I didn't have to spend a lot of money on designers. Making covers and webpages is, to me, also good fun.

I ran into some money trouble with Serendipity - when the record was printed, I didn't have money for PR to give it out in January 2006 as I had intended. I also was returning to my dayjob in Trolltech after 4 months of leave and I had a lot of new stuff to figure out. I finally managed to scrape money enough together to get it released in September - which turned out to be very bad timing. There was hundreds of other artists releasing their albums before Christmas and I could hardly get a mentioning in the newspapers let alone national radio.

Now I've released another artist: Bonden. That record is going much better - for many reasons: it's in Norwegian, we released it early January which was a good time and the album is also very easy-listening. There was much less setup this time, since I had most of the material ready.

An invaluable tool is an e-mail sender that can send off mails to hundreds of radios or newspapers at the same time (watch out so you don't spam).

For my own stuff I've learned that I need to be more specific in what I do. Serendipity was a very diverse record - maybe too much so. The next record will be pigeon-holed in progressive rock. It's very hard to sell something when it's a bit of this and a bit of that - still I do get good feedback on the record from those who have bought it.